Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Obit- better late than never

Author Topic: Obit- better late than never
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projectionist famous in a previous life died last year. Someone just sent me the link:
http://www.thevillager.com/villager_322/jeffwinfield.html

quote:
Jeff Winfield, The Left Banke guitarist, is dead at 60

By Rick Hill

Jeff Winfield, a former guitarist of The Left Banke, died June 13 at age 60 at St. Vincent’s Hospital. His death followed his admission Feb. 25 for an emergency hernia operation with complications of diabetes. His condition worsened with pneumonia.

[snip]

When his former father-in-law suggested he follow in his profession and become a film projectionist, Winfield heeded the call and went to a union-run projectionist school on Long Island and joined the projectionists’ union in the city.

The film director Sidney Lumet told Charlie Rose in an interview a few years ago that cinema projection booths as we know them would be gone in two to three years with their 2-inch-wide unbreakable Mylar film and giant and complex projectors in favor of DVD projection. Already the Angelika has projected films using DVD’s.

Last year Winfield retired after 33 years, having worked, as he said, at every cinema in Manhattan and some outer boroughs, including the now-defunct 8th Street Playhouse, across the street from his home, for 29 years.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 11:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the obit, it sounds like the guy had a decent enough life! Louis

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I kind of wonder if projectionists can still work for 33 years and retire and have a decent enough life.

And is there still a projectionists school in Long Island?

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be morbid, but I've often thought about writing my own obituary and keeping it in the "Event of My Death" paperwork my wife will need if I go first. Too many times I read obituaries of people I've known over the years and they tell nothing of the real accomplishments in their lives. Update the obituary every four or five years . . . just like a will or insurance policy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: