Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The ex strikes again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The ex strikes again
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evidently my wife (at the time) filed her taxes separatly in 2004. I was working overseas and she always did the taxes. This was at the beginning of our separation, and I didn't think about it. I just got a letter last week from the IRS saying I owed 11,000 in taxes for that year and with interest, it's now 23,000.

Not sure what's going to happen, I've already emptied my bank account. The bank manager said the IRS will see my withdrawal because of the amount. Yes, I am going to call the IRS and see what I need to do, my main concern is traveling overseas. I'm talking with someone about an installation in China. The other thing is, my passport just expired and I need to renew it, but with the IRS involved now, I'm worried that will screw things up.

I've been detained at customs a couple of times, and I'm sure it's because I get money wired to my personal account from China and Egypt.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget after the IRS is finished with you the State will be next in line to get their cut. You should call one of those IRS Tax Debt consultation firms. Or get on one of the IRS payment plans if one of those firms can't help. IRS can put a Tax Levy on you which they can put legal seizure of your property to satisfy the IRS tax debt. They can put Wage garnishment, Bank levy into the picture.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
there werent state taxes in Fl. I still have issues with paying taxes to the states when I was was working and living in China. I have no property for them to sieze, my ex took it all and I had to sell all of my assets. [Roll Eyes]

As far as the tax levy, thats why I took my money out of the bank.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 06:35 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate http://www.irs.gov/advocate/ . Yes, they work for the government but they really are there to help you; my mother had some tax problems and they helped her out quite a bit.

Edit:
Also, if I am reading your original post right, because of your ex you didn't pay any federal income taxes in 2004 (you thought she filed for the both of you jointly but she filed separately). If that is the case you're going to have to reconcile yourself to paying SOME taxes to the IRS; no one like paying taxes but if nobody did we wouldn't have a very functional country after all. The IRS number of $11,000 is probably high balling what you owe by quite a bit though; I'm guessing they're basing it off your reported income minus a standard deduction. The fact that you were traveling extensively is a clue that you probably have quite a few deductions to claim if you itemize and can probably bring that tax burden down significantly. With the help of the tax advocate and probably an attorney you can probably get most of the penalty dropped too and set up some sort of payment plan.

Good luck man.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 11:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'd talk to a lawyer about the fact that your divorce proceedings/decree didn't take into consideration that you actually should've had total assets than was used for it, since you would've already owed the IRS money back then. You might be able to argue for a reduction in alimony or something.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an accountant looking at it and my divorce lawyer is checking into the records from my divorce. My decree said that we had to file jointly that year. I'm not worried about the taxes, that will get worked out. I was just bitching about my ex [uhoh] I was arguing with her about me getting the kids for the end of the summer. she won.
old story

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
My decree said that we had to file jointly that year.
Then one could argue that she owes half the money they're mad at you about, although I'm no lawyer.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 07:41 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to cast any shadows Richard, but weren't you even the least bit curious when you didn't sign any tax returns?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 08:13 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, I don't know what all I signed that year. When we moved to FL, my ex got a job at an accountants office. All of our taxes were filed by them, I don't think I ever signed a return.

Now, my accountant does them and I only get a letter from the IRS stating that my refund was deposited into my ex's bank.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe SHE is at fault for:

1: not following the divorce procedure

2: falsifying the tax filing.

You may have grounds for her to pay all or most of the money owed. [evil]

GET A TAX LAWYER INVOLVE! lOUIS

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I was arguing with her about me getting the kids for the end of the summer. she won.
This is the real tragedy of divorce. The kids get caught in the middle. I am not judging you or casting stones Richard because I know marriage can be hard. My family is full of divorce and I see what they have gone through. It just sucks that the kids have to pay the price too.

My parents divorced when I was 12 and I got put in the middle a lot. I have two older half brothers from my dad's first marriage who barely even know him because their mom played those stupid kind of games. I think fathers should get equal time with the kids that moms do. Unfortunately, so many times the government sides with the moms and the dad gets taken to the cleaners and never see the kids like you. It's a lousy system. In the end it's the kids who really suffer. [Roll Eyes]

I worked with a guy who had a book written by a woman for men on how to win in a divorce. Her reason for writing the book was that she saw many of her guy friends getting taken advantage of by their ex-wives. I have known many guys that end up living in a basement of a friend's house while giving most of their paycheck to their ex-wives and never getting to see their kids. It's basically government sponsored theft. It's ridiculous.

Get some good attorneys and maybe you can stick it to her for once. It would serve her right for being so greedy in the first place. What goes around....

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-16-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen so many men end up with the arse out of their trousers due to this sort of rort... me being one of them.

The two previous posts are spot on... this kind of thing IS government sponsored theft - and it ain't going to change anytime soon because nobody has the balls too stand up and tell these gold-diggers to fuck off in a legislative sense.
Louis is on the money- get a tax lawyer and stick it to that cow.

Don't get angry- get even.

It's amazing how good just one tiny win can make you feel, and you ARE entitled to win.

We're behind you Rich.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude.... Just move to China for 7 years. Problem solved! When our economy tanks for a second time sometime in the next few months things are going to be REALLY BAD here so China may actually be a BETTER place to be! Sad but very true!

Actually you are best off to hire a tax attorney as Louis said OR one of those Tax Places to barter with the IRS for you and get it reduced. Some of those places actually employ ex IRS people! You will still have to pay both the IRS and the State and the Tax PLace but it is usually far far less then if you just paid what you owed. The exact same thing happened to me when I moved to SLC. Ex-Wife filed seperately and I didn't know that... but neither the IRS nor the State of Illinois caught it and the statute of limitations passed before even I realized it, so I was off the hook. I noticed the discrepancy when I was shredding old 10 year old documents that I no longer wanted to store. Sometimes things just work out right...

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 03:41 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today, I get an e-mail from the ex saying my daughter needs braces. $5000 bucks! I wouldn't mind, if I could see her front teeth more than twice a year.

Don't get me wrong, I do anything for my kids, it's just how the ex tells it to me. I got an e-mail yesterday from my ex ( I told her not to call me a few years ago because we always ended up yelling). She said she is engaged and gave me her wedding date (all in big print) like I give a shit, then in small print in the next paragraph she asked how I was going to pay for the braces for our daughter.

If I didn't love my kids so much, I'd still be in China.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, depending on what state you live in you may get off on any alimony payments because of her new hubby.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: