Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Microsoft Office 2010 con

Author Topic: Microsoft Office 2010 con
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had to update word and excel to keep up with my office lady's laptop , so i purchased 2010 MS Office with excel Word and powerpoint.

After installing this all was fine except when i went to run my publisher , I had publisher 2000 bought and paid for on this PC and this new upgrade had now turned it into a 2010 TRIAL version of with I now have to buy or i will loose it.

Nowhere on the box does it explain that this will happen to any other MS product you may have running.

It also turned outlook express into MS outlook but i managed to fix that.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2010 03:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, that's some truly evil shit right there. Are you sure it didn't put Publisher (whatever that is) into its old folder called "Old Publisher" or something like that? They can't take a bought-and-paid for application away. That would be illegal on so many levels.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 03:29 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw Microsoft office.

Get Open Office, Its Free and will open most if not all you will need.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 05:05 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no Joe i tried to
open publisher documents with my 2000 version and it would not touch them also uninstalled publisher 2010 and had same result. [Confused]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-05-2010 05:29 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathon's got it right!

Open Office is the way to go. It's free - and has the added joy of the [fu] to Microsoft and their bloatware.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-05-2010 09:20 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call MS Support. They will make it right.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Publisher. Ugh. I can't stand it. Microsoft has little to no clue at all when it comes to making its products play nice with professional level graphics applications when it comes to importing or exporting artwork to/from other formats.

I have Office 2007 on my work computer, including Publisher & PowerPoint. When it comes to customer provided artwork it often comes in a lot of inappropriate flavors. Often they're useless, low resolution JPEGs. The US Army believes PowerPoint is a graphics application, so you can count on getting a unit crest or battalion logo as a PPT file (usually containing a useless low res, raster based image). Publisher is a little bit better in that it makes a tiny bit more effort to support things like vector-based graphics. Publisher just sucks at importing and exporting vector-based graphics. Basically you get to lock down the shitty artwork on one layer and completely rebuild clean artwork on top of it on another layer using either Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. The funny thing is Inkscape is a completely free, open source vector graphics application and it does a better job of creating, importing and exporting vector-based graphics than Publisher.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 04:08 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another aspect of Microsoft's bid for world domination!

Whatever happened to their office suite rivals, like Lotus (brilliant software) or Wordperfect? These were very able items of office software and nice to use.

Microsoft have created an office suite software monopoly; no wonder they are getting away with murder!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-06-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Microsoft have created an office suite software monopoly; no wonder they are getting away with murder!
Someone suggested Open Office. It's free! If Open Office satisfies your requirements, use it. However if you've used MS Office for a long time, and you try switching to Open Office, you may find it lacking. It just depends on what you want and how you're used to working.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2010 05:59 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't just reinstall Publisher 2000?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-08-2010 08:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I would uninstall 2010 first, then to fix the Publisher morphed into the TRIAL version, which the uninstall may not do, try doing a System Restore, which I believe is turned on by default, at least in XP. Start - All Programs - Accessaries - System Tools - System Restore; pick a restore point before the date of your 2010 install. That should fix the mess Office 2010 made in your registry on Publisher.

Now reinstall Office 2010 but do a custom install and pick only Word and Excel to install. Your Publisher 2000 should remain unscathed. If you are lucky. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-08-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
System Restore is one of the most powerful tools out there...I has almost never let me down in undoing evil.

Steve

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 10:41 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing i did when discovering this evil was the good ole system restore , but MS must have built some special "we will get the suckers" code into it so i did not work .

The new 2010 publisher still there as a trial version. The old publisher files were there still but would not open .pub files , tried twice to reinstall my original publisher over the new one but the exercise failed when almost complete.

But then i tryed a 2007 publisher installation , which also failed but it must have worked because i can now open files with publisher 2007 and this trial con has dissappeared ??

last time i buy any MS upgrade software.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 10:54 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI system restore often only rolls back drivers/hardware-related stuff rather than software installations.

Your best bet is to go to an MS support site. Though you could go through a process of completely uninstalling office, reinstalling the old publisher, then installing office again this time specifying which components you want.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you going to have to be stuck doing a complete factory restore on your computer to get it back. UNLESS what ever company you bought your computer from, will provide you with a Product Key. I have had know people who where sucessful getting a system disk with Product Key from a company like Dell but never heard of anything similar for Office. Worth a shot I guess...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: