Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » AC/DC "Back in Black" 30th Anniversary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AC/DC "Back in Black" 30th Anniversary
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-26-2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend, Sunday to be exact, marked the 30th anniversary of the release of Back in Black by the Australian rock group AC/DC.

Back in Black is one of my favorite hard rock albums. If I were asked to put together a top 5 or top 10 list of greatest rock albums ever released this album absolutely would have to be included in the list. The album has an enduring popularity few other rock albums can match. Roughly half of the songs on the album still remain in heavy rotation on rock oriented radio stations. You Shook Me All Night Long is a staple tune in many dance clubs. The recent Iron Man movies have given the music another popularity boost. The music from Back in Black arguably has a timeless quality in that it doesn't fit into the usual hard rock/metal genres that have become dated over the years. The music, like it or not, clearly stands on its own.

Back in Black is an album that might not have ever been made. Many expected AC/DC to break up when the band's front man, Bon Scott died. Instead, the group lucked out in hiring Brian Johnson and having legendary producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange on hand to go into the studio and crank out a work dedicated to Bon Scott. The result was an ass-kicking, beer chugging, two-fisted classic.

I still have my old vinyl LP of Back in Black, purchased back in 1980 when I was just a kid. Several years later I bought a CD version of it.

The enduring popularity of Back in Black has resulted in over 49 million copies sold, making it the #2 best selling music album worldwide and best selling album ever for a rock band. Thriller by Michael Jackson is the only album to sell more copies.

AC/DC is still one of the most popular touring rock bands in terms of ticket sales. Over the last year the band ranked in the top 5 on touring grosses. U2 made the most money. This is according to report I heard on one of our local rock radio stations last week.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything stated here. It's a great album for sure. The CD was re-released a few years ago with all the original album graphics (including the embossed cover) restored and it sounds great. I'm not really a heavy metal fan but this album is balls-out excellent. "Shoot to Thrill" is my personal favorite song on the album.

I do have an issue with the #2 ranking of sales though....I think Thriller is #1 followed by the Eagles' "Greatest Hits." Those two albums have been battling it out for the top honors for years.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that AC/DC's "Back In Black" is a great album! I definitely would include it if I was to be stranded on a desert island and could only bring along a few albums.

"Back In Black" is noted as a great cross-over album, appealing to many who generally dislike hard rock and heavy metal. Everyone I know who hates hard rock has "Back In Black" in their CD collection, similar to, say, Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue" being the lone jazz album in collections of those who dislike or are unfamiliar with jazz, or Bob Marley's "Greatest Hits" for those dislike/don't know reggae.

All this talk about "Back In Black" reminds me of how great a year 1980 was for hard rock and heavy metal. In no particular order, I can recall the following:

Judas Priest's "British Steel"
Van Halen's "Women And Children First"
Queen's "The Game"
Black Sabbath's "Heaven And Hell"
Scorpions' "Animal Magnetism"
Rush's "Permanent Waves"
Journey's "Departure"
REO Speedwagon's "Hi Infidelity"

Also in 1980 the first inkling of "The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal" brought us the debut albums from Def Leppard and Iron Maiden, neither of which, in my opinion, are the band's best work, but certainly gave us a taste of things to come.

Some sources cite 1981 release dates for Styx's "Paradise Theatre" and Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard Of Ozz," though both were produced in and carry a 1980 copyright. Should these count?

And, on the opposite side of the spectrum, 1980 brought us Kiss' "Unmasked," which pretty much solidified the band's downfall.

I was in junior high school in 1980 and on the verge of discovering most of the bands I cited. I can recall many of the kids in school wearing the concert shirts and talking favorably about the music. Who would have thought that thirty years later, I would consider many of the albums mentioned among my all-time favorites and several of which I'll confess to have purchased multiple times (LP and/or cassette, then on CD, and, in many cases, re-mastered/re-issued CDs).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and my daughter gave me a new 200grm collectable vinyl of this album this year for my b-day. She's and avid AC/DC fan as well.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
Some sources cite 1981 release dates for Styx's "Paradise Theatre" and Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard Of Ozz," though both were produced in and carry a 1980 copyright. Should these count?

And, on the opposite side of the spectrum, 1980 brought us Kiss' "Unmasked," which pretty much solidified the band's downfall.

I was in junior high school in 1980 and on the verge of discovering most of the bands I cited. I can recall many of the kids in school wearing the concert shirts and talking favorably about the music. Who would have thought that thirty years later, I would consider many of the albums mentioned among my all-time favorites and several of which I'll confess to have purchased multiple times (LP and/or cassette, then on CD, and, in many cases, re-mastered/re-issued CDs).

The Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard of Oz LP was first released in the UK in late 1980 then released in the USA in early 1981. The follow-up Diary of a Madman was recorded in 1980 some time shortly after the first albums release yet it was not released until late 1981. Both these recordings should be avoided in any remastered pressing. They do not include the original bass or drum tracks on them.

As for Kiss Unmasked it was not the worst LP but definitely on the other side of the career peak. It also did not have any drum tracks recorded by Peter Criss. They were done by Anton Figg of David Letterman's show band.

As for AC/DC's Back in Black, that's the album that almost didn't happen. After the death of Bon Scott, Angus Young was considering throwing in the towel until he stepped into an Australian Nightclub and heard the screams of Brian Johnson.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2010 01:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an AC/DC concert when I was a child, like all the kids did. To this day it is only one of two concerts I've ever been to (not a big fan of the concert-going experience). I got a lot of flack for listening to AC/DC because, of course, they worship the devil. They fired blanks from a canon several times. It was kind of loud, y'know? The shitfest known as "Fastway" was the opening act. I never really understood opening acts. Rush doesn't have opening acts from what I hear, but I am still not paying $80 for a ticket to their concert at Red Rocks. I certainly wouldn't consider Rush, REO Speedwagon or Journey to be in the hard rock category. Rush could be rock, the other two maybe "lite rock".

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The shitfest known as "Fastway" was the opening act.
Fastway was formed in 1982 by former Motorhead guitarist Fast Eddie Clark and Former UFO bassist Pete Way. The Fast and the Way in the bands name. Pete Way left the band before the first LP even came out. Fastway opened for Rush when I saw them in 1984.

Rush quit using opening acts in 1996 and started having shows that ran 2 1/2 to 3 hours long.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 01:42 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in Black is one of the greatest hard rock albums. Never considered them metal though such terms can vary from person to person.

After Back in Black, they seemed stuck in a rut until the Money Talks album. Just no nonsense rock n roll. Some critics may have downplayed their excellence, but if no nonsense rock was so easy, you wouldn't have mediocre bands like Chickenfoot.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-26-2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a whole lot of back catalog stuff in my collection anymore, particularly when it comes to rock, but I do have "Back in Black".

And since somebody else brought up Rush...If you haven't seen Rush's "Beyond the Lighted Stage", get the Blu-ray and do so immediately.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ears are still ringing from the canons from "for those about to rock"! The loudest concert ever.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rush is "art rock." Journey, REO and some of those others are "pop rock." They have hard rock elements in their sound but pop is definitely the dominant element in their most popular work. But Michael did say rock and metal in his post, so he wasn't saying those bands are metal bands.

I had forgotten all about Fastway. We sold a few of their albums back in the day. They were one of those bands that came on big and fizzled fast before they really got going.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He said hard rock and heavy metal, not just rock by itself.

If AC/DC isn't heavy metal, then what is? Iron Maiden? Their sound isn't any "heavier" than AC/DC's. One thing I do not like is death metal, mostly because it sounds like shit... unless it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pT7OZE66Q0

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-26-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AC/DC is heavy metal but Journey and REO Speedwagon most definitely are not, nor are they hard rock either...although REO comes closer. ("Ridin' the Storm Out" -- great track, especially live. The studio version sucks.)

I almost saw Journey in that classic Denver venue, McNichols Arena -- but when the tickets arrived in the mail and had "OBSTRUCTED VIEW" printed on them, I opted not to make the 600 mile drive. Dumbass ticket selling moron didn't mention THAT fact when he told me they were great seats close to the stage.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-26-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think of AC/DC as being "heavy metal." The band definitely plays heavy sounding music, but I think it is more rooted in blues than it is in metal. Maybe a frame of reference could be George Thorogood & The Destroyers but a tougher sounding with a slight influence of punk. It's really difficult to pigeon-hole the band's sound even though it is raw, straight-forward hard rock and roll. AC/DC just has their own sound.

Maybe that's the best compliment for any long-lived rock band. Rush has their own sound. So does Journey. Same for U2. Some "dinosaur" acts are able to get away with changing and refining their sound. AC/DC has done some slight refining over the years but largely has gone with the strategy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BTW, AC/DC's 1993 hit Big Gun was the primary reason why I bought a copy of The Last Action Hero soundtrack. That CD has a number of other great tunes, but Big Gun is awesome.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ug. I have a hard time telling the difference between most U2 songs. Why they are so popular I'll never know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: