Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Getting from NYC to Chicago.. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Getting from NYC to Chicago..
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best cheap way to get from New York City to Chicago? I will consider bus, rail or air.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 03:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you gone online to check out travel services between the two cities?

Greyhound would be the main bus service. AMTrack be the train run and we know that air flights are the most expensive (but, sometimes deals are dealt with air travel between certain cities. That you have to research out online..)

Good luck-Monte

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-12-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, fast, cheap--pick any two.

I would go by air. Takes about three hours. You have your choice of airports: JFK or LGA in New York and ORD or MDW in Chicago. Consider the cost of transportation between airports and whereever you want to go in the cities as well.

Second option would be the train. It would be cheaper, but I wouldn't want to sit in a seat for ~20 hours, personally, and a full cabin on the train would be cost-prohibitive, especially for only one traveller. You would have to check to see if there would be a dining car and/or lounge car on that route, either or both of which would make the trip more pleasurable. Both train stations should be downtown, which would be an advantage if that is where you want to go, anyway.

I would avoid Greyhound Bus Service if at all possible.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was going to school in Indiana, I would take the Twentieth Century Limited from NY to Chicago -- a great ride -- and then a local line to South Bend. Yeah, it was 20 hours, but bring reading material, some sandwiches and snakes, a thermos so you don't have to buy and if you catch a few hours sleep as well, the time passes quickly.

There is nothing like a train ride. I don't know if it's the rhythmical sound of the wheels on the tracks or the swift movement but without the sound of an engine that makes it so relaxing, but whatever it is, nothing is quite like the train.

I have also gone many times from New York to Houston by Greyhound. Death by the mile. Actually I was somewhere on a long, desolate interstate in Louisiana on one of those trips; it was December 31st at 11:59:59pm. The driver, in a totally uninterested, monotone voice said, "Happy New Year and thanks for riding Greyhound." Whoopie.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 03:44 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bring reading material, some sandwiches and snakes,
Snakes? [Confused]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Yeah, it was 20 hours, but bring reading material, some sandwiches and snakes, a thermos so you don't have to buy and if you catch a few hours sleep as well, the time passes quickly.
Snakes on a train Frank?!

I'd recommend flying too. NY to Chicago has a lot of good deals and flights available. From either ORD or MDW, transportation to anywhere in the city is pretty simple.

That South Shore line still runs from Chicago to South Bend and back too. Love it!

AJG

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 03:47 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never heard of "SNAKES on a TRAIN"!!?? [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've ruled out Greyhound; I would be more likely to use that for a shorter trip. I do London - Bradford by coach several times each year, that's not too bad, but it's only five hours; Chicago's going to be much longer. It's also only not too bad if I get an empty seat next to me; If I'm sitting next to somebody then there's not much room.

Amtrak is surprisingly cheap, unlike their fares between New York and Washington DC. It actually seems to be cheaper than flying.

Flying would be quickest, but it's a pretty horrible way to travel, and it would mean making three flights in just a few days; I don't like the idea of that.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 05:58 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amtrak is really overpriced in my opinion. I just checked into train travel from Iowa to Philly, with a sleeper cabin only on the Iowa to Chicago leg, and it was quite a bit more expensive than flying. I was very surprised and disappointed.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 06:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too recommend Amtrak. Six years ago I was able to circle the entire country visiting relatives (including bus fare from LA to Vegas through Amtrak) for less than $1000. No way you could do it that cheap through the airlines.

Dining on salmon while crossing the Great Divide is rather snobbish, but absolutely unforgettable.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 08:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The train from Chicago to NYC passes though Erie. [Big Grin]
There's a brew pub right in the train station. I'd buy you a beer... if the one train per day didn't stop at 3:00 in the morning. [Frown]

Anyhow... I like traveling by train even if it takes longer.

There are no security gates. No X-ray machines. No asshole TSA agents to hassle you. No baggage carousels. No surly ticket agents.

Just show your ticket and your ID. Walk on, put your luggage into the compartment, sit down and relax. When you arrive, just pick up your luggage, get off the train, walk outside Penn Station and you're there.

It's a lot more relaxed atmosphere and, if you get a compartment instead of riding coach, the porters will actually be nice to you!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys! Snakes on a train indeed! I meant "sandwiches, snacks and a thermos....snacks... on a train." Although I must say, Snakes on a Train does sound like there's a really bad movie in there just itching to be made! And in 3D no doubt. [thumbsup]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 02:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
And in 3D no doubt
You watch..they will since it's a scary story ... gotta have the snakes jump out of the screen into the audience ... [Big Grin]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Snakes on a Train does sound like there's a really bad movie in there just itching to be made!
Already been done. You gotta hand it to Asylum Pictures. No bar is ever too low to get under.

Getting back OT, I personally love Amtrak. I'm taking the Maple Leaf from NYC to Toronto on Sunday, as a matter of fact. It's a long haul, but the trick is to pop for business class, if available. Much more room and your usually right next to the cafe car. Plus it's ten hours of nothing to do but read, listen to music and unwind, or sleep. Beats the hell out of flying and all the hassles that brings.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2010 11:22 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look up airtran. Depending on the day , anywhere from the high 90s to 200 one way. It is not non-stop. It is one stop.
There is a sale going on right now on www.airtran.com

You can also try direct flights. Keep trying. A sale fare will open up and you could get a fare in the 100-120 range. Bus and train aint much cheaper, if at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: