Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projectionist memoirs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projectionist memoirs
Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2010 07:37 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Anybody know of good books about being a projectionist? I just read the imcomparable "Sleazoid Express" about working in the old Times Square exploitation theatres (tip - NEVER use the washrooms!) It was hysterically funny, and judging from some of these posts, people should be writing more stuff like that for us future booth heads.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a book titled "The Reel Mose". LC catalog #86-062367
ISBN: 0-9617510-0-2.
Written by Earl Moseley it is subtitled "The autobiography of a motion picture theater projectionist".

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-10-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Joe Redifer's "I Came, I Showed, I Left." [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim...that was not....ahem...about being a "projectionist"....per say.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-10-2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search for and get two books from the old days:

James R Cameron's (no not the director) "Motion Picture Projection" (there are several editions) and also Robert A. Mitchell's Manual of Practical Projection.

Both books were given to me by a deceased colleague and are full of valuable information (including optical theory) that still applies today.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Both books were given to me by a deceased colleague...
I don't mean to make light of your friend's death, but I sure hope he wasn't giving you gifts after he died. That's just wild! [Wink]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-10-2010 08:34 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Greg, believe me I am not offended and neither would my colleague be...I have stories from him involving undertakers, false teeth, a transgender person and the ongoing speculation of pre/post operation, his days running massage parlors and more. [Big Grin]

He was a great guy, very knowledgeable, fun to be around and would give you the shirt off his back. A valuable friend, and resource of information (and parts and equipment) and is missed by a lot of people.

He could give Phil a run for his money in "coot" points. [Big Grin] I would not be surprised if Phil and he knew each other.

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2010 09:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1922 and a 1943 edition of Cameron's books. The silent era book is full of interesting history and facts on how projection began to that section of the presentation era. An interesting potiental product that was tried, but as always, didn't make it to the masses.

It was a split reel that rested horizontally on top of the projector where the film was fed through the middle. The takeup reel was the same style-to be split apart to be used right back again on top of the proector. A nifty method of no rewinding film.

First inceptions of our present day platter system-no rewinding film.

The 1943 edition has three chapters on "Fantasound" - from inception to presentation. Plus the stuff on a new Simplex E7 with the dbl shutter-how it gives out more light than the conventional shutter and against Motiograph's barrel shutter.

It's great reading..-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2010 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
It was a split reel that rested horizontally on top of the projector where the film was fed through the middle. The takeup reel was the same style-to be split apart to be used right back again on top of the proector. A nifty method of no rewinding film.
Is there a picture of this contraption?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 01:12 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had linked to this here previously, but I guess not. The contraption was called the Feaster No-Rewind, although it wasn't the first invention of its kind (nor was it the last).

http://www.thephotoplayer.com/feaster1.jpg

http://www.thephotoplayer.com/feaster2.jpg

http://www.thephotoplayer.com/feaster3.jpg

Ultimately, what probably killed this idea time and time again was the brittleness of nitrate stock, even at the time.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2010 01:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, but this forum requires all images be uploaded to the site, rather than linked to so that the archives can be preserved. Otherwise, sooner or later, that link will cease to work and that will destroy this part of the discussion.

-

-

-  -

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 01:28 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what "Feaster people" look like [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-16-2010 06:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a "PanOram" with a device like that...only it was for 16mm.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-16-2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the first known use of the platter concept...(think about it folks before shooting off that it isn't.) [Big Grin]

Film fed from the center and wound in such a way to reload it still feeding from the center.

quote: Steve Guttag
I've seen a "PanOram" with a device like that...only it was for 16mm.

I just dealt with one like it at the Orange County Museum of Art here in So Cal, they had a short film in 16mm on endless projection. The real shocker was that the device (which was a series of rollers sandwiched between smoked plexiglass) cost them $1,500.00 !!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: