Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hard Drive survived fall from table...

Author Topic: Hard Drive survived fall from table...
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was swapping hard drives from my external enclosure, and due to being an idiot, one of them fell off the table onto the ground. Surprisingly, it booted back up and doesn't appear to be making any different sounds and a quick check in Disk Utility (on a mac), it seems ok. I wasn't so lucky the last time this happened before. Should I buy a new one just to be safe, or are the new hard drives generally built tougher these days?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I've fixed hard drives by dropping them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2010 01:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first PC came without a hard drive so I installed a 40 MB one, which was pretty good sized at the time. After a couple of years it just quit working so I called the "help line" and they said, "It apparently has quit working so we'll send you a new one...for $449. Can we have your credit card number please?" I said I would call back after double-checking everything.

I hung up the phone, yelled "FUCKING SONOFABITCH!!" and pounded the top of the computer with my fist, and ... the drive started to work, and it never failed again as long as I used that machine.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would go ahead and look at a replacement if you store anything of importance on it.

I have a few laptop drives that have been bumped several times and are fine, but they are only used to move files between one location to another.

Any type of backup media though, I would want to replace just for the peace of mind.

Cody

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I removed the hard drive from an inoperable computer, with the intention of destroying it before recycling the rest of the unit. I first threw it down on my driveway, chipping the concrete. I then hit it with a hammer. It didn't seem to suffer, although I had no way to find out if it was actually inoperable.
I marked it NG, and gave it to Goodwill with the rest of the computer.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-08-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the drive was not running there is a very good chance that it can survive a fall from a table top, a couple-three feet, to a hard floor. As long as the platters are at rest and the heads are self-parked, hard drives are designed to withstand a certain amount of rough handling.

If they are running, that's a horse of a different color.
Some hard drives and/or computers have built-in accelerometers designed to park the heads and brace for impact in case of a fall but just a plain hard drive that hits the floor while running would probably be a goner.

And, yes, for a locked spindle, banging a hard drive on the table might actually bring it back to life but, as others have said, I would back that hard drive up ASAP and get ready to replace it before it crashes again... Next time, permanently.

Richard, the best way I have seen to destroy a hard drive that's not too exotic is to simply get a big nail or a spike of some kind and drive it right down through the case and out the other side. Once the seal is broken and the platters are bent, damaged or pierced, there is nothing short of microscopic examination that will recover the data from them.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a 1T drive fall from the bottom of a rack all of 4" and landed flat. After that tiny fall it would no longer start, it made a repeated clicking noise trying to startup. I had nothing to lose so I banged it ( taking Joes advice above, thanks Joe ) a few times on the table and all is well again:)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 11:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Future threads will read:

"I dropped a new xenon bulb off the table... and survived."

or...

"I dropped a brand new, $2,400 dichroic reflector off the table... and not only survived, but kept my job."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or, an unknown someone dropping a ISCO Blue anamorphic attachment and it hit the concrete floor on its edge shattering the front element, and 1400 bucks later it's back in operation.

..and the unknown someone is never found...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: