Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Will bad movies kill the current 3-D craze? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Will bad movies kill the current 3-D craze?
Michael Riley
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2010 10:00 AM      Profile for Michael Riley   Email Michael Riley       Edit/Delete Post 
So the word is out on M. Night Shyamalan's latest film, "The Last Airbender", and much like all his other films since Sixth Sense, the word isn't a good one. All the early reviews for it are saying that the movie is absolutely awful from every conceivable perspective, with some people citing it as being amongst the worst films in recent memory. Much of the derision has to do with the lame post-production 3-D conversion that makes watching this otherwise awful movie that much worse.

That being said, I know there has been a lot of hype behind this movie, as the cartoon seems to be quite popular amongst the younger crowd. I know the 3-D conversion has more to do with the addtional profits, then any tangible benefits it may have to offer the audience, but do you think the film studios might be shooting themselves in the foot with this one? I know I remember reading the same thing about Clash of the Titans back in March, that the 3-D was just awful and made the movie unwatchable.

Do you think that if studios keep pumping out awful movies in 3-D like this that it will cause the novelty to fade away with audiences even faster than it would have otherwise?

I certainly don't mind the 3-D experience, although I don't feel that it adds anything to the film. It certainly worked well recently with Toy Story, Up, and How to Train Your Dragon. But all this psot production coversion nonsense is definitely going to water the whole thing down.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think M. Night just had one really good film in him.

I think 3-D will prove to be a better thing if there is the occasional "event" film with great 3-D, than a constant stream of crap movies with a good one every now and then.

That said, the 3-D effects of "Despicable Me" are getting some online raves.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2010 11:02 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D did not kill this film. The acting killed this film, you can walk down the lumber aisle of any hardware store and get more emotion then you can out of these kids. They are horrible, and the dialogue was atrocious.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2010 02:44 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I think an issue that is just as likely to kill interest in 3D movies is simply lousy 3D. This "moving viewmaster" approach just sucks. The best I've seen was "Alice in Wonderland" but even that lacked the visual quality of film actually shot with two lenses. Films from 1952 have better 3D imagery than most of what they are releasing today.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish something would please kill the 3D craze...

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-01-2010 05:43 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little film called "Step Up: 3D" will only prove to strengthen 3D's power. I plan on seeing it. Drunk as hell...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-01-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think M. Night just had one really good film in him.
I'd say two...and maybe one other just 'good' one.

This one is dead in the water.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-01-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A staggering 92% "rotten" on the tomato-meter.

My favorite critic quote (Roger Ebert):

"The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented."

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
This one is dead in the water.
I think that line was probably already used for his second-to-previous film.

If it wasn't, it should have been.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 07-01-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Night, M. Night.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott D. Neff
A little film called "Step Up: 3D" will only prove to strengthen 3D's power. I plan on seeing it. Drunk as hell...
Does "drunk as hell" mean passed out? If so, then yeah that might actually earn a star in the review.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2010 11:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think on Shyamalan's movies, his name is getting smaller and smaller with each release.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-02-2010 12:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Step Up 3D had already come and gone. it seems like many movies these days are 3D and they all seem to want to come out at the same time, so it is hard for me to keep track of what came and went. I wish the FAME remake was in 3D. I also want to see a black and white foreign language hoity-toity art film in 3D.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2010 02:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe watching his films at 3:00 am is the trick to liking them. I thought Airbender was pretty good but I could have been in a daze and I watched it in 2-D like all not shot with 3-D cameras should be viewed.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 07:22 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious as to how "Inception" would work out in 3D [Big Grin] I do think being slightly tipsy is the key to Step Up 3D earning a any stars.

I made my husband watch the first Twilight movie (just to see what would happen), ten minutes into it he poured himself a double shot and announced he might have to drink the movie better. Apparently even that failed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: