Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Passport renewal?

Author Topic: Passport renewal?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any tips on the easiest and most cost effective way to renew a passport? Mine expires next month, so I have a little bit of time to do this. I'm not planning on leaving this month, but I would like to have one ready should I get an emergency call out of the country.

Thanks,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only got my passport a few months ago, but the wait time for the standard option, not the express, was about two weeks at the time. A renewal should take even less time than an original issue, so it should take only as long as it does to mail to you. If your work is such that you regularly travel, sometimes on short notice, call the State Department to see if there is a way to have no interruption of your having papers (since you usually have to mail your expiring passport in).

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to keep my expired passport because of all of the different places I've been. It also has the dates stamped on the different visas and stamps, which I've had to look at before to verify dates that I serviced a certain theatre.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I have renewed my passport in the past, the old one has been returned (they punch something like "void" into it so it cannot be used).

I have not used the expedited options, so I don't know if those work differently.

I found out recently that AAA members can get free passport photos taken at one of their offices, which might be of use to you.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 12:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that some countries now won't accept a passport that expires in less than one year.

The last time I went to Shanghai China I had to get my passport renewed even though the old one had 9 months left on it because China would not accept a passport that was not "fresh".

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I renewed my passport 3 years ago (it had expired about 20 years before that!). It was quick and painless. The passport office was at the main postoffice. The biggest hassle was figuring out what days they were open. I don't recall how long it took, but at the time there were lots of scare stories about the backlog taking forever (this was before the economy collapsed, so lots of tourism). Pretty sure I got it back within a month. And yes, you get your expired passport back VOIDED.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I'd also like to keep my expired passport because of all of the different places I've been. It also has the dates stamped on the different visas and stamps, which I've had to look at before to verify dates that I serviced a certain theatre.
Got a scanner?

Aside from the obvious benefit, if you ever lost your passport, you would have something to go on, even if it's not an official document.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 02:48 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A co-worker of mine had to get his passport recently so we could go to the company headquarters in Toronto (I still have a valid one from my trip to Australia in 2006). He had to get it within a week or less so he actually drove to DC and went directly to the offices there. He had to stay overnight because of a long wait but he had it the next day.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always make copies of the photo and data page of your passport and carry them with you when you travel. If you ever lose or have your passport stolen the copy will make it easier to get a reissue at the American Consulate.

A couple of years ago my daughter fell victim to the expiration in less than 6 months hassle. We went to the passport office in DC and had a new one in less than an hour.

Normal renewal is no big thing. Just get a new set of pictures and visit the local passport office. It usually takes less than a couple of weeks and they will return your old one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: