Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Running a 60 cycle motor on 50 cycles

Author Topic: Running a 60 cycle motor on 50 cycles
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 05:22 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting a vintage record changer from the US and the turntable motor will have been made for 110-115v at 60 cycles. The voltage conversion to 240 is the easy part. The speed issue will be a little more difficult as it no doubt has a type of induction motor. I thought I might adjust the size of the motor pulley or jocky pulley and the motor would run happily at a slower speed. However I have read that such motors tend to overheat when run at a lower line frequency.

Any tips are welcome if you have any ideas besides that of changing the motor entirely. I fully realise that many of you will think, "Why bother?"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2010 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power inverter? That is, generate your own 120V/60Hz power.

Steve

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my platters there is a converter box attached to convert to NZ specs. Call Atlab who installed mine.
Or perhaps DSE would have 1 off the shelf.
The other option would be the unit connected to the projectors for a slow start, however you can adjujst the Hertz on them.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
240 to 120 converters, I bought mine at a place called Jaycar.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2010 10:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would work but it's expensive. I poked around looking for a DIY turntable power supply solution similar to the VPI but can't find anything. One page said building a suitable power supply that changes the line frequency is non-trivial.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont 60 cycle motors run a bit warmer on 50 cycle power?

I have an old Collaro (UK made) turntable from an old Magnavox stereo that has a 50 cycle motor on it. It runs fine, but spins the records a bit fast. I've got feelers out looking for a motor for this unit now.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 08:00 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is correct that getting a converter to change the frequency is not a simple matter. The professional ones are expensive and would represent over kill. Most domestic ones only change the voltage as most modern electrical goods run happily at either 50 or 60 cycles.

The motor heating issue only apparently appies when running a 60 cycle induction motor on 50 cycles, not the other way round.

I thought I might try to get an American power inverter which coverts 12v DC to 110 V AC. These are quite common and are used for running appliances in cars but naturally the US ones are not available here. I assume these produce a sine wave at 60 cycles. I could then run that from a 12v DC power supply. The motor only draws about 30 watts.

quote: Bruce McGee
I have an old Collaro (UK made) turntable from an old Magnavox stereo that has a 50 cycle motor on it.
Pity it is not from a 1937 Webster record changer Bruce, we could do a swap.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 11:20 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Warren Smyth
I assume these produce a sine wave at 60 cycles.
Not a safe assumption sir. Most of the inexpensive converters produce a stepped sine wave or even a square wave which will at the least make the motor run erratically or more likely burn it up.

You can find those converters that produce a "true sine wave" output, the ones that do will usually brag about it in the packaging or in the specs.

It will still be the best solution in your case, just choose carefully.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: