Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » FIFA World Cup 2010 - South Africa (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010 - South Africa
Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the World Cup will have much impact on the US box office, but in other countries does it have a noticeable effect?

Also, anything else on the general "World Cup" topic? (predictions, impressions, team you support if your country gets eliminated... whatever)

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll watch it as long as the US is in it, then I'll watch the final. It's no Stanley Cup.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing the live 3D feed to theaters, so Ill be watching it here from the NOC. It should be interesting to see what the box office is for this event, and geographically who books.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2010 05:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will decimate business in the UK and Europe, and most tentpoles have been moved either forward or back from their US release dates to avoid this. The release schedule consists of chick flicks or poorly reviewed films. Shrek and Twilight will open during the later stages of the tournament but both have advance previews the weekend before their friday open to compensate for this. July looks like a strong month though so any cinema that plans properly and manages their costs effectively will be fine.

I leave for South Africa on Sunday morning for three weeks. Hopefully the World Cup does some good for South Africa and everyone enjoys it as much as the last tournament in Germany which was great fun.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime I see soccer highlights, they seem to include guys faking fouls and injuries during play. It's worse than the NBA. Maybe it's just the editing of our sports programs, but I just can't get up for that. Also, despite all marketing efforts, soccer has just never caught on in the USA like some of the other sports. I guess people only have so many things they can pour themselves into.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-10-2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, how are you getting the consumer 3D into theatres? That is, how are you getting the DCinema projectors to be 3D projectors with the consumer content?

Steve

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 05:54 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I've asked the same question in another thread with no answer.

Is it a method covered by some non-disclosure?

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
As far as our end the signal originates in a raw satellite feed from the site. We use our Cinelive decoders to decode/parse the signal out to individual theaters. I don't as of yet know what the bookings for this in the US look like. The licensing for each event varies, and affects bookings accordingly.

Our Cinelive decoders are Sensio based, and exclusively licensed.

http://cinedigm.com/cinelivecontentowners.html

http://celluloidjunkie.com/2010/06/10/cinedigms-partnership-for-fifa-world-cup-makes-sensio/

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with those damn horns the African's blow during the entire match? I had the TV on ESPN this morning when the game started. After 2 minutes, I thought something was wrong with the audio feed. Nope - plastic horns. After 3 minutes it was either change the channel or go insane. I used to think thunder sticks were bad, but those horns are by far the most annoying thing I've ever heard during a sporting event.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the 'faking' of injuries/fouls, yes there can be some of that in Football but it gets massively hyped up by the media. Every second of every match gets poured over by the press and they can tend to illustrate the negative aspects of the game as it sells more papers. The English media are always trying to scupper our chances in tournaments in this way, or trying to blame defeats on 'cheats'.

The USA must be unique in having so many 'major league' sports that people actually follow, in addition to all the College sports. The people in charge of MLS look like they are going about developing 'soccer' in the right way.

The horns sound terrible, got seven matches worth of those over the next three weeks. Going to look for some earplugs at the airport!

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 08:20 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vuvuzelas are those plastic horns responsible for World Cup matches sounding like they are being played inside a giant beehive.

If the sound of tens of thousands of those horns being honked sounds bad on TV, imagine being at the stadium; according to an article a few days ago in the Los Angeles Times, the decibel level of all those vuvuzelas tooted en masse approaches that of a jet engine at full throttle and surpassing that of NASCAR races, rock concerts, and jackhammers. Yep, about 140 decibels, well over the 100dB danger level. That'll hurt your ears... [Eek!]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 06:26 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soccer Officially Announces It Is Gay.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2010 07:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Miller
Vuvuzelas are those plastic horns responsible for World Cup matches sounding like they are being played inside a giant beehive.
I hate those things. They're sold (or given to fans for free) at some basketball games. Very annoying.

Kori Marvin
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2010 12:07 AM      Profile for Kori Marvin   Email Kori Marvin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go USA! We've tied England and Slovenia(we we're robbed of the win by a terrible ref) and all we need is a win against Algeria and were in! Hopefully England wins their game as well because I support them also. Yes the vuvuzelas are very annoying. Fifa thought about banning them because they were receiving so many complaints, but they ruled that are a part of the African culture and will be permitted. [Frown] oh well i guess.

Who do you guys think will win the world cup? my moneys on Argentina

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-19-2010 02:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait until the World Cup is over. I am not a sports fan in general, but there is no excitement to be had in soccer. I simply cannot understand its popularity. It's not very popular in the USA. My theory is that the less interesting a country is, the more it loves the hell out of soccer. I can understand why the world doesn't get excited about American football since it is more standing around and doing nothing than anything else, but soccer/futbol? C'mon. Even the Olympics are more exciting.

A few days ago I read that Obama tweeted something like (paraphrasing) "Good luck to the US soccer team, we are proud of what you have accomplished so far." First of all, it is soccer. They are not fighting for freedom and saving lives. They do not matter. Secondly, how could you be proud of a tie? That's like saying "Well, at least we didn't lose, but we weren't good enough to win". Where's the nearest sports store? I'm off to go buy me tons of Team USA gear to celebrate that amazing accomplishment. Man on the moon? Fuck that, we tied at soccer!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: