Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How does my Pepsi machine work?

Author Topic: How does my Pepsi machine work?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have this Pepsi machine where the cup sits at a slight angle on the tray, and flow stops automaticallly when the soda runs off the top edge of the cup and contacts the metal bar.

How the hell does this work? Even if the bar is still wet from a previous pour, it works right away with the next pour. Is it the temperature of the liquid?

We've had this machine for about 6 years and none of the Pepsi guys have ever been able to tell me how it works, so I'm turning to the most intelligent group of folks on the web...how does it work???

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-07-2010 11:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conductivity between an electrode at the top of the spout and the chute or some kind of inductive sensor are my guesses.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2010 03:00 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same machines. If you grab the metal bar in one hand and depress it without having the stream touch you and then touch the stream with your other index finger you can make it stop like magic. Do this all the time to freak employees out.

Maybe its similar to how a touch lamp works...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-08-2010 09:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graphite or carbon in the plastic tang lever that senses the moisture as a ground to close a circuit to the head unit via the use of a microchip.

I was shown this about a dozen years ago from the Pepsi installers.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2010 10:13 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magic ??

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-24-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter how wet the bar is, the inside of the new cup is dry. A low voltage is imposed between the drink nozzle and the bar. When the drink gets to the top of the cup and touches the bar, there's a small current flowing through the Pepsi - from the nozzle (through the flow into the cup), through the drink in the cup, to the bar. That current is sensed to close the solenoid valve controlling the drink flow.
Metal cups will not fill at all, the valve shuts off as soon as the stream of Pepsi touches the cup bottom.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2010 10:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave -- that makes the most sense so far. Although I think I'll continue to use Richard's explanation for employees and the other curious folks!

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
Metal cups will not fill at all, the valve shuts off as soon as the stream of Pepsi touches the cup bottom.
Actually had an employee bring a metal lined coffee cup to use on his break a couple of days ago. I stood there watching with amusement as he got frustrated that his cup wouldn't fill except in small bursts. He finally came over and told that something was wrong with ALL the towers. With a smirk on my face I went over grabbed a paper cup and filled it up. Told him it seems to work fine to me. He then put his cup back on only to have it not fill. He stood there bewildered. I finally explained to him what was happening and used the paper cup to fill his metal cup. I got some amusement and he got a lessen on how the drink towers work. [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-25-2010 11:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time, get a piece of paper or something (a piece of a drinking straw?) and place it between the cup and the metal conductor so that the cup will fill. Don't let him see it. Palm it or something.

Then you will have performed the same trick using HIS cup!

You could potentially screw with the kid's mind for months! [evil]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh trust me, that thought did cross my mind.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-25-2010 01:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That joke would rank right up there with sending the newbie out to the hardware store to buy a can of Technicolor. [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-25-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
...or sending out the FNG electronic repair kid out to get some fallopian tubes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2010 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
If you grab the metal bar in one hand and depress it without having the stream touch you and then touch the stream with your other index finger you can make it stop like magic.
Well -- I tried this on our machine and it did not work -- the stream just kept on flowin'. So I'm beginning to think it really IS magic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: