Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Apple computers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apple computers
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 06:44 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
need advice on an Apple laptop for $2000. A friend overseas wants me to send him one. He just said for me to pick out the model.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's he planning to do with it?

Does he want it just for internet and e-mail use?

Is he planning to use it as a portable video/graphics computer?
(e.g. - A digital photographer who shoots in tethered mode.)

Is he a math or science geek who might do a lot of number crunching?

If the computer isn't going to be used for intensive tasks it would be wise to save some money and go with the regular MacBook. They are only $1,000, right now.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=OTY2ODEwOQ

If you're looking for a video/graphics or number crunching machine, look at the MacBook Pro. There's a 15" 2.53 GHz model selling for $1,999.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NDc0NDI

If you're looking for something that is more stylish than functional, take a look at the MacBook Air. They aren't my cup of tea. Too much stress on form over function for me.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?mco=MTM3NDczMDU

After that, go to the on-line apple store and look at the specs. Compare prices and pick features you like.

Hint: Don't buy RAM upgrades from Apple. You can get it cheaper from third party vendors like OtherWorld Computing. I got RAM from this place for about 2/3 the price Apple was selling it at. I used the savings to buy the next step up computer.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

The only other thing I can think of to do would be go to an Apple Store if you are near enough. It really does help if you can get your hands on a computer and check it out in person. Their people are usually pretty good at answering questions.

Besides, if you find a computer you like and it is in stock at the Apple Store, you can walk out the door with one, if you so choose.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option is Amazon.com. It'll be tax free, but they only have the stock models.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-31-2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, even if you buy from Apple's online store, they'll charge you tax. So don't do it! He can always upgrade the RAM later, so a stock model should be fine.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a non-profit educational institution. I bought my current computer through the school. I always forget that other people have to pay taxes on things.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[url= [url= http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+with+15.4%22+Display%3C!--Apple+--%3E+-+Aluminum/9910585.p?id=1218193867485&skuId=9910585]web]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+with+15 ]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+with+15.4%22+Display%3C!--Apple+--%3E+-+Aluminum/9910585.p?id=1218193867485&skuId=9910585]web]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+with+15[/UR L] .4%22+Display%3C!--Apple+--%3E+-+Aluminum/9910585.p?id=1218193867485&skuId=9910585][/url]

Is this a good deal? A good computer? I don't think he's going to use it for the graphics part of it. The last time he was in the states, he went to an Apple store but was in a hurry and had to leave before he could check everything out.

Thanks, Rick

Sorry, having troubles posting the link. Its a MacBook Pro 15.4 display. BestBuy $1799.99

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-01-2010 12:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because it's the closest you can come to spending $2000, and that's all the criteria he seems to have given you.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I don't think he's going to use it for the graphics part of it.
In that case, better budget in another few hundred for a Braille attachment. [Big Grin] (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your friend want a computer for function or for style?

The 15 inch MacBook Pro is a fine computer but you can economize. Go down to the 13 inch MacBook Pro with the 2.66 MHz processor and save yourself $300. You'll also get an extra hour of battery life. The computer will be slower than the 15 inch but I don't think your friend will notice very much if he's not doing processor intensive work. (Video, graphics or number crunching.)

Take that $300 and buy upgrades:

1) For another $100 you can get a 500 GB hard drive instead of the standard 320 GB. (It is better to have hard drives installed at the factory when you're dealing with a laptop.)
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC375LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1NzE

2) For an additional $117 you can add another 4 GB of RAM.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

3) You still have almost $100 left over before you get up to the cost of the base model 15 inch MacBook Pro.

4) You STILL have $200 over and above that to play with before you get up to the $2,000 mark you friend budgeted for you.

But if your friend wants style over function, go ahead and get the 15 inch. Its got a faster CPU and a larger screen. I think the 13 inch is a better bang for the buck but he's the one buying. [Wink]

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the 15" and 17" models are where you step up to the I5 and I7 processors. Buy one with the I5 processor. As of right now, it's the best bang for the buck. Memory and hard drives can be upgraded at a later time, the processor can't. I'd suggest custom building one at apple.com, but then you pay tax. I love my mac, no more PC for me!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro. Ended up right below 2,000 after taxes. They tried to sell me an extended warranty, to which I replied....I already told you it's going to China, I think they can fix any problems with it.

By the way, It looks cool as hell. I might have to get one myself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-23-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton

By the way, It looks cool as hell. I might have to get one myself.

Ah yes, although there are exceptions, that does seem to be the number one reason people flock to iProducts. [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except the MacBook Pro is not an iProduct. Do they even have any iLaptops or iBooks or whatever the hell they called them any more?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an Apple person so I don't know what is available. Before I ship this, is there something better that anyone recommends?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-23-2010 01:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's really lame: any company besides Apple using the "i" bullshit as the beginning of the product name. "Hey folks, introducing the Ronco iSuck!" It's every bit as lame as white people trying to talk with the stereotype of a black accent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: