Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theater Bites - Web Show Series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Theater Bites - Web Show Series
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-22-2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a web show series I'm working on. Basically, in a nut shell the show will feature topics about movie theaters and experiences from working at them, interviews with people in the industry, movie reviews, product reviews, and just about whatever the viewers(like all of you) would want discussed on the show.

Theater Bites - Episode 1: Introduction

Feel free to add suggestions, ideas, and if you are interested in participating on the show just PM me or check out the website for more information.

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2010 12:32 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jen if you ever want to do an Australian episode I would be more than willing to help you out.

As for critisism, I can not fault your natural, relaxed on screen presence, the lighting looks great and the sound is chrystal clear.

If you were to really push me for a suggestion on improving it in anyway, I would suggest that you change the frame size between takes to remove the jump cut look (that I can happily live with anyway!)

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-23-2010 12:37 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do that kind of effect on some old videos I've made. But for this particular one I didn't have it in mind. I just wanted to have a quick change for each topic I was talking about.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-23-2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be tricky for other transitional effects to work (dissolves, wipes, etc.) since they take up more time and would have an effect on the audio track making sense. The longer transition would need a quiet space for the cut to work. Or you would have to get into fiddling with the audio track to make a sort of L-shaped edit between the audio and video, doing some sort of fade in/out with two audio tracks. More time consuming than a straight jump cut.

Jen, what camera did you use to record the video? The EOS 7D would be my guess based on the slightly narrow depth of field effect (easier to get artsy looking narrow DOF using a DSLR than a standard video camera). If the 7D was used what did you use to record the audio? Top mic on the camera or boom mic?

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-23-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, the Canon 7D with a Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens was used for this episode. The Rode VideoMic - Shotgun Microphone was for the voice audio and Final Cut Pro to edit the footage.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-23-2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other equipment used:
Vanguard Tracker 4 Tripod
Velbon Tripod - to hold up the Rode Mic, which was also attached to the Canon XL1 [Smile]
Bayco 10 1/2 In. Brooder Clamp Light With Porcelain Socket
Bayco 8 1/2 In. Clamp Light
Ceiling Light
Tall Room Lamp Light
36in x 48in Double sided Gold & Silver Reflector
16ft 3.5mm Stereo extension cord for the Rode Mic to the Canon 7D
8GB SanDisk Ultra Compact Flash Memory Card

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job, but the jump cuts have to go. (This is a serious pet peeve of mine in most web video. I hate them.)

The usual way around this is to first edit for sound, leaving the jump cuts in, then replace the picture over each jump cut with a video or still image of whatever you are talking about (maybe even just a title card of what you are discussing).

A fade to black would also work well, but that would change the pacing of the video.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jen,

I enjoyed your first web video and feel honored to be in on the birth of your new website. (I was one of the first viewers of Christine "Happy-Slip" and have followed her career, meeting her at her 07-07-07 bash in Washington Square Park. I can see your involvement in the media taking off as hers has.)

You look and sound great! Though I have followed your posts and still photos on Film-tech, I am delighted to see you "live" in color with sound.

My only suggestions are to avoid the shift in color balance
(your youthful complexion doesn't need the rosy color temp shift.) And don't tell too much at once--allow for questions and comments to provide openings for you to reveal your thoughts.

Congratulations!

--Gerard

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-23-2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the input. My goal for the first episode was to be blunt and to the point. I understand the attention span of many people out there, its about 30 seconds. [Razz]

As the show moves forward it will transition into its own groove and feel. Allowing for comfortable transitions between topics. The content will also become more elaborate and detailed allowing for comments and the like. Please be patient as I grow and improve within this project that we are all working towards to achieve.

Scott, I tried some fades within this particular video but it didn't feel right to me. The speed at which I was talking to get everything into this one episode only felt right with jump cuts in my opinion. But I will try and make everyone happy in the episodes to come.

Gerard, as for the color shifting... the only color correction I did was a little touch with the darks and the lights. Everything else is either from the lighting in the room or just my normal face tone. What you see is pretty much very close to how the video was recorded.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-23-2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For proper color balance, I usually use a custom white balance based on exposing from a 18% gray card. I mainly do this for still images, but it can work for video as well. I never use the auto white balance feature and it should be avoided for any video use or time lapse shooting because color variations will occur.

As a short cut, provided some up front note taking is done in various light conditions that are controlled and able to be repeated, you can manually set the white balance based on a Kelvin color temperature. In still images the Kevin setting usually shows up in the EXIF data.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-29-2010 12:12 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater Bites - Episode 2: Movie Review & Movie Discounts

Episode 2:

Movie Review for "Just Wright"

Discounts and Deals at the movies...

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-13-2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater Bites - Episode 3: Movie Reviews

Episode 3:

Movie Reviews - Wolverine, Mystery Team, and Prince of Persia

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-21-2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater Bites - Episode 4: 3D Talk Part 1

Shout out to Jake Wenger & Jeb Bertram, check out their movie review Podcast Show! http://sloppyotter.blogspot.com/

Talk about the origins of 3D, Sega Master System, Nintendo Virtual Boy

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-27-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater Bites - Episode 5: Toy Story 3 3D Review

Episode 5:

Toy Story 3 3D Review

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2010 02:01 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to see you perpetuating the myth that 50s 3D was (dual-projector?) anaglyph, that shutter glasses are old technology but polarising isn't!

I'd suggest reading up on the history of 3D before trying to tell it how it isn't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: