Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movies that suck (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movies that suck
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* we have enough hard drive space on the server to handle this thread...

These can be important movies, massive box office success movies, critic's choice movies, or just any movie that for whatever reason just suck. What's your list with a quick reason why?

Note, this thread is for fun. Those of you who feel the need to preach that some people like these movies or that they make money, please go to another thread.

I realize I am missing hundreds in this list, but just to get the thread started here are a few come to mind quickly (no particular order of suckage):
2001 (boring)
Schindler's List (boring)
A Clockwork Orange (boring)
Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (bad)
Tony Scott movies (overdone)
Ridley Scott movies (tired)
Michael Bay movies (just awful)
Sex and the City movies (don't even)
Will Ferrell movies (ugh!)
Paul Greengrass movies (kill me NOW)

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Garfield (boring)
[Date, Epic or Disaster] Movie (bad, not funny)
Nights in Rodanthe (just... bad)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-08-2010 03:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of mine off the top of my head (in no particular order) are:

2001 (boring - I fell asleep in the theatre and every time I tried to watch it on TV)
The Lawnmower Man (boring - I fell asleep in the theatre)
Anything from Pixar (yuck - I hate their animation)
Howard the Duck (too stupit!)
Eraserhead (Too Bizarre and depressing)
Brazil (Too Weird)
Steve Martin movies (yuck - the same old tired act over and over. The only exception is "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".
Eddie Murphy movies (His films all look alike - the only good ones are "Trading Places" and the original "Beverly Hills Cop".
ALL(!) Dennis Quaid movies (Yucky poo poo)
Anything by that slob Michael Moore (A total asshole)

I'm sure I have more...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The third and fourth Airport movies. (I watched the second one the other night, it was actually pretty good)

The 3rd and 4th Superman movies

Blues Brothers 2000

All Jaws sequels

Almost all movies based on TV shows of the 1960s, in particular the Beverly Hillbillies and Bewitched movies

Wall-E (yes, I said it...I watched twice, loved the first 20 minutes, hated the rest, sue me)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" - (1964) .. worst K/S ever could be... but a riot to watch.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, since I'm weird, old and like art films, I think I will throw you an obscure one.

Any film by Pier Paolo Pasolini.

I only saw two of them, but that was enough for me to swear off him forever.

# Il fiore delle mille e una notte (1974)
... aka "Arabian Nights" - USA
... aka "Flower of the Arabian Nights" - International (English title)
# I racconti di Canterbury (1972)
... aka "The Canterbury Tales" - USA

He's all about accentuating the gross and perverse. The fart jokes, the shit jokes and then rubbing your nose in the shit. It gets old after a while.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the time I started working at the Roxy, we were showing a movie called "Girls In Trouble." It was so bad that the owner started telling customers it was awful, and put up a sign saying "No refunds" after the first night.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NINE (The Musical)
A Single Man
Anything with Will Ferrell (except ELF)
Land Before Time
Russian Ark
Ladykillers (Coen Brothers version)
Road to Perdition
Gone With The Wind (except the last 5 minutes)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-08-2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Babies - Who thought this would be a good idea? 4 reels of babies just doing their thing with no narration at all. It's like watching a home movie where nobody talks. Also, babies are repulsive!

Synecdoche, New York - A pretentious "art" movie that is weird soley for the sake of being weird. I would rather be force-fed one of my own eyeballs than watch this thing again. I would rather have my arms and legs slowly sawed off with a rusty piece of sheet metal and then stapled back on in the wrong positions. I would rather all my skin be peeled off with an orange peeler. I'd even rather watch a Barbara Streisand movie.

More to come when I have more time...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, do they show the babies screaming at the top of their lungs? Do they show them puking and crapping everywhere? After all, everything babies do is cute and adorable.

Worse than a Barbara Streisand movie? Really??? Wow.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blonde and Blonder
Lord, Save Us From Your Followers

Ironically, we still have these prints upstairs

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 05:42 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everything in the past 10 or 20 years...

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-08-2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were King, I would demand every print, copy, VHS, DVD, or whatever of Armageddon be destroyed. That is the most appallingly bad movie ever made. Good Lord it was hideous. When you can screw up a scene with Liv Tyler in her underwear, you are a BAD FILM MAKER.

Roland Emmerich's Godzilla comes in second for me. Just painful to watch.

Then there's Pearl Harbor. The only good thing that came out of that movie was Roger Ebert's review...
quote: Roger Ebert
"Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality. The film has been directed without grace, vision, or originality, and although you may walk out quoting lines of dialog, it will not be because you admire them.
Deep Impact - where about halfway through I turned to Wife #1 and said "I know you can't possibly believe this, but this is where it starts to get dumb".

I'll end with Independence Day, which is actually far more watchable than anything I previously noted, but still sucks.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 07:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flightplan (pointless).
Constantine (dull).
Both Fantastic 4 films (no action).
Death Proof (apart from the two killing and sexy bits).
Spaceballs (one good gag right at the start but falls flat otherwise, can't make an entire film of Jew jokes and breaking the fourth wall).
Year One (just didn't work).

Inland Empire stands out as being the worst thing I've seen in recent memory in the Cinema. It was confusing for no reason other than to preserve David Lynch's reputation, and my High School short film shot on DVCam looked better. I contemplated walking out.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..can we add "Ishtar" in this pile of wasted celuloid?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: