Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Iron Man 2 Stupidity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Iron Man 2 Stupidity
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 07:11 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest everyone download the torrent and burn it on to a DVD just in case you can't get your cans opened or your digital copies unlocked.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 07:18 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing!
I just got a call yesterday.
I guess we SHOULD get our keys for the digital by thursday.
Unlock time of 2pm thursday (We have a midnight, so i guess were not screening it first?)
and the cans... well, she couldn't tell me when we would get them.
and she couldn't tell me when the unlock code would work either.
Although the original fax said 11am thursday.

Either way, its ridiculous.
Were getting 6 prints and a digital.
They can't possibly expect myself or anybody else to build all six prints on the fly and just hope everything works out.

I take pride in my work, but we all make mistakes.
This whole locking cans until the last second bullshit really doesn't help any of us cut out theses mistakes.
And I care about my job.
Imagine how shitty it is for theaters that don't?

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 08:27 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one of the technicolor boxes in one of our chains other booths it had a bag that was locked. Like a black canvas zip up bag in the box.

Hieu Trung Ngo
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 11:28 AM      Profile for Hieu Trung Ngo   Email Hieu Trung Ngo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got notice that we won't be getting digital drives until Thursday between 1 and 3PM and that keys will not be valid until 1145PM. They will be providing a key to tech reel 1 in digital to ensure proper ingestion....

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they waiting so long to get the drives to you? It is useless without the key. There should be no reason that a drive can not show up on a Monday to be ingested and then send the keys out on Thursday. I hope you have a central library server because your day will take longer than those putting prints together if you have to ingest on more than one server.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of D-Crapema. [Roll Eyes]

As for the prints, I would say [fu] the studio, if I didn't get the combination to the locks in time to properly build up the show in time they either don't get the shows at all or I'd tell them give me the codes or I'm cutting the locks. [Big Grin]

I'm willing to bet that worldwide they lose MORE money on lost shows from this nonsense than they lose from the alleged cinema's part in the piracy issue. [Roll Eyes]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout that?
There is indeed a verified copy of "Iron Man 2" out on the 'Net. It is Russian in origin. But the point is: It's there.
Yet they still insist on being idiots about this.

Your stupid "Catch a camcorder" program didn't help much. Oh that's right the film was released in other countries first - countries that don't support film anti-theft efforts.

FAIL!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 03:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just got a call yesterday.

and the cans... well, she couldn't tell me when we would get them.

Well whoever called you should have looked at the fax that was sent out. The cans are supposed to be delivered Thursday. Same as any other print.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why was it released in other countries first? Does this mean that the USA is not the best any more?

I would love to see a theatrically projected DVD of a camcorder copy. The irony would be too awesome... especially if there was a guy in the audience trying to pirate it with his camcorder.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-04-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree fully with Tony's suggestions.

They obviously still haven't learnt from the debacle that German cinemas experienced with the "Avaturd" opening.

If any theatres suffer no-shows due to this last minute bullshit, then a politely worded statement pointing out the REFUNDS that had to be given - and then deducted from the takings later that day due to their incompetence - MAY just give these tossers the hint.

And just to make it perfectly clear to the studio dipshits who insist on these games...

Iron Man 2 is already on Torrents...BEFORE theatrical release!

You are too late! Do you now understand?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason it was released late in the states is that JJ Abrams secret project (Cloverfield 2?) will have a teaser with the film. Well thats the only sensible reason I can find anyways.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 08:26 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Well whoever called you should have looked at the fax that was sent out. The cans are supposed to be delivered Thursday. Same as any other print.
Most of our prints get here tuesday or wednesday.
Its fairly rare for us to get prints on thursdays anymore.
Lucky me.

Hieu Trung Ngo
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Hieu Trung Ngo   Email Hieu Trung Ngo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually not sure why they wait so long to let us ingest the content. We had the drive for a screening the other day but just received an email saying that any screening content is not the wide release version and that that version would not work with the wide release keys. So we have to reingest the movie when we get it again. Between this and the IMAX debacle we're currently having at the theatre, we're never going to get these prints teched in time for the midnight shows tomorrow.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As was stated earlier, Why are they waiting until the last second to let us even get the hard drive? I thought that digital would put a stop to this crap!

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inbox was flooded with IronMan digital related emails today. They're delivering the drive between 8:30 and 10:30 tomorrow morning. So I'm sure it'll get here at 2pm. The first film will unlock at 6pm, with the second unlocked at 11:45, but does come with a screener key. KDM's arrived early this morning. I smell a disaster.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: