Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Super 8mm is back (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8mm is back
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-24-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Link

quote:
KODAK Introduces New Super 8 Motion Picture Film; Advancements in Film Technology Foster a Renaissance for the Small Gauge

ROCHESTER, NEW YORK, April 6, 2010 - KODAK has introduced a new Color Reversal Film available in the Super 8 mm format today. KODAK Ektachrome 100D Color Reversal Film is a daylight-balanced 100-speed film, incorporating bright saturated colors and fine grain with excellent sharpness.

S8_100D.jpg"Super 8 mm film is a versatile, affordable option for filmmakers who require the image quality and flexibility of film," says Chris Johnson, product manager, Entertainment Imaging Division, Eastman Kodak Company. "Quantum leaps in film emulsion technology have made Super 8 - once considered a hobbyist's format - a viable option for professional filmmakers and students."

Many of today's great cinematographers and directors began their careers at the counter of their local photo shop, buying a cartridge of Super 8 film, according to Johnson. But KODAK Ektachrome 100D Color Reversal Film offers filmmakers image quality far beyond that of the familiar home movie format of the 1960s, he says.

"Kodak's commitment to R&D continues to raise the bar for image quality," says Johnson. "One benefit is that Super 8 is now a terrific option for students who want to hone their skills, as well as for professional filmmakers who want to craft a distinctive look for their project."

According to Johnson, the Super 8 film format is supported by a network of dedicated laboratories that process and digitize the output. One of the leading labs in the United States supporting the Super 8 format is Pro8MM, located in Burbank, California.

"Our customers have been clamoring for Kodak to offer the 100D product in the Super 8 format," states Phil Vigeant, president of Pro8MM and author of the book, The Power of Super 8. "The results our customers can produce with a Super 8 camera and a 50-foot cartridge of Super 8 film scanned to HD are amazing."

One of the leading facilities in Europe supporting the Super 8 format is Wittner-Cinetec. "The increased saturation of the 100D film makes colors just pop," says company President Daniel Wittner. "We are glad to see Kodak continuing to support this important format."

"We are excited and happy to demonstrate Kodak's continued commitment to film technology, and we look forward to further announcements this year," says Johnson.

About Kodak's Entertainment Imaging
Kodak's Entertainment Imaging Division is the world-class leader in providing film, digital and hybrid motion imaging products, services, and technology for the television, feature film, commercial, music video, documentary and exhibition industries. For more information on KODAK VISION3 film, visit www.kodak.com/go/motion, with links to ongoing podcasts and blogs on products and services from Kodak.

Follow Kodak on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KodakMotionPictureFilm

About Wittner Cinetec
Wittner Cinetec offers all kind of accessories for the dedicated Super 8 filmmaker and enthusiast. Filmstock and processing service, splicers, filmreels/cans, film cleaners, projection bulbs. More than 2500 products for taking, editing and projecting of small format movies. The wide range of products includes specialties like Kodak Double 8 and Double Super 8 film stock as well as newly produced accessories and spare parts for Beaulieu cameras and projectors.

About Pro8mm
Pro8mm is a one-stop venue for the use of Super 8 Film, offering: tech support for cameras, custom modifications, including Max 8 and crystal sync; film processing for all Kodak Super 8 filmstocks; scanning to digital in native 1080 HD. For over 40 years Pro8mm, formally Super 8 Sound, has pioneered the use of Super 8 film.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Kodak was 5 days late with their announcement. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-24-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely gonna follow Kodak on Facebook.

The image quality of film is good, but if it is only daylight balanced and requires a separate device altogether just to record any audio, then it sure as hell cannot be deemed "flexible". I've seen movies shot on 16mm that look worse than those shot in consumer HD. "Please Give" is a good example of how bad 16mm can look. It looks, at best, like consumer HDV at 720p (which is actually anamorphic, not using the full 720p resolution).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they bother when you can buy an HD Flip thingy and produce far better images?

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2010 11:20 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak also supply some neg stocks on super 8 I think a vision 200 and 500. Pro 8mm supply additional neg stocks from Fuji and the rest of Kodak professional range that they themselves cut and load into the super 8 cartridges.
Pro 8 will also pimp your camera with widescreen conversions of the gate and view finders.

more info
pro8mm
super 8 reversal and neg stocks

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2010 11:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark...Why bother?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-25-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try and find a projector. I have a bunch of old s8 reels I want to screen to choose which to transfer to video for my family. My old projector had a blown lamp and gooped rubber drive belts.
I borrowed someone else's and that lamp blew after about 10 minutes, I can get a replacement for around $100.00 online.
I tried the pawnshops, no s8 there. I asked about it - a few years ago they had lots - the staff guy said they had binned them all at least two years ago and didn't accept any more, nobody ever wanted them.
As far as I know there is no current production of any s8 cameras or projectors.
You can get used ones on ebay with the usual doubts and aspersions. There are also reputable online dealers with probably good used ones, but these are very expensive and still require insanely expensive lamps with 20 hour lifetimes.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't appear that projectors are an issue:

quote:
According to Johnson, the Super 8 film format is supported by a network of dedicated laboratories that process and digitize the output...

...and a 50-foot cartridge of Super 8 film scanned to HD are amazing."

At the least, if some want to call themselves FILMmakers, at least they are working with actual film. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-25-2010 11:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, the best way to really tick off an independent filmmaker is to use dialogue such as "so tell me about your new video movie".

It's hilarious how offended they get, yet it is 100% true. [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-26-2010 07:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't used to get the super-8 thing, either.

I think that the attraction of it is as follows:

- it is actual film, not videotape and has the long-term archival properties of film (especially when Kodachrome was still available)
- it has a unique look, not easily obtainable with any other format, and useful for flashback or nostalgic scenes in movies shot on other formats
- the cameras are small, lightweight, and easily obtainable

A primary disadvantage of super-8 is that it is difficult to make a composite release print in the format, and also nearly impossible to show it in a large screen. In general, it must be either transferred to videotape or blown up to 16mm or 35mm to be shown to audiences of any size.

Having said that, the cost of shooting and processing super-8 is not much different from that of 16mm, and the image quality of 16mm and also the quality of 16mm equipment is far superior.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regular 8mm (double 8mm) film is also still available in several different black and white film stocks as well as 100D color reversal. Yale film and video sells stocks with processing included.

@Scott:
It's apparently pretty easy to print super8 in Europe. I had no idea how huge super 8 is over there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-26-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, a Beaulieu 708EL Pro modified with an Elmo (Schneider) f1.0 lens, forced air cooling, heat filters and a 2000 watt external xenon lamphouse makes for a damned nice image on a really large screen. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2010 12:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a sweet little B&H S8 projector in mint condition that I tagged at a thrift store for 2 bucks..

Dang, hope they can mag stripe Super8mm so I could use my Kodak 265 Sound Moviedeck, Dual 8 Projector...

No, what's gonna happen is they'll have optional, optical sound recording for the cameras .. and we can even go up to digital tracks on post processing from the labs, if necessary.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2010 02:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still people using 9.5mm, almost fifty years after it was supposed to be dead.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2010 02:31 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the naysayers are missing the fact that this isn't aimed at the professional (unless they're looking for a "look"), but for the student. That's the whole angle that Kodak has been pushing ever since home video-- the experience with shooting/exposing film at an affordable price.

And I have to admit, I used to knock professional Super8 a lot, but after seeing a few productions shot on, scanned in and timed PROPERLY (which accounts for at least 50% of the quality you see on screen), it rivaled 16mm productions I saw at the same festival.

The whole experience proved again the fact that quality craftsmanship is the winner in photography, not who's got the best toys on the block.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: