Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sony Worries About Our Waistline (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony Worries About Our Waistline
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I trust them with my health:

http://www.al.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/national-37/1268691627275930.xml&storylist=new_topstories

quote:
Sony boss asks theater owners for healthier snacks

3/15/2010, 4:22 p.m. CDT
The Associated Press
(AP) — LAS VEGAS - The head of Sony Pictures suggested Monday that movie theaters offer healthier snacks to help fight obesity and give audiences a broader range of food choices.

Michael Lynton, chairman and chief executive officer for Sony, told theater owners at their annual ShoWest convention that a survey by the studio at 26 U.S. theaters found that two-thirds of movie-goers said they would be likely to buy healthy concessions if available.

The survey also found that 60 percent of parents thought that healthier concessions would enhance the moviegoing experience and that 42 percent of parents would buy concessions at theaters more often if healthier choices were offered, Lynton said.

"I don't mean close the window for popcorn, soda and candy. Audiences love them and should always be able to buy them at your theaters," Lynton said in the keynote address as the four-day convention opened. "I can almost imagine the Romans eating popcorn and drinking Coke at the Coliseum 2,000 years ago. Or the Greeks munching on Sno-Caps at the Theatre of Dionysus in Athens."

But "by bringing healthier snacks into your concession stands, you would be helping our country meet an urgent public health need," Lynton said.

According to Lynton, healthier food selections suggested by those surveyed include fruit cups, vegetables with dip, yogurt, granola bars, baked chips and unbuttered, air-popped popcorn.

Lynton said the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, launched by former President Bill Clinton and the American Heart Association to fight childhood obesity, has offered to help advise theaters on healthier concession items.

© 2010 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think most chains will be choosing healthy versions of those things?

Are veggies healthy? Yes. When you add dip? Highly unlikely to be a yes. Is popcorn without oil healthy? Not remotely. Is fruit healthy? Yes. Are fruit cups? Not when fruit cup usually means "fruit cocktail" which really means "sugar-water flavored by a small amount of fruit." Etc.

It will seriously NOT be about stocking items that ARE HEALTHY, but will be about stocking items that APPEAR HEALTHY.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 07:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During one of the big movie popcorn scares (OMG! Coconut oil!) Act III Theaters started offering air-popped unbuttered popcorn here. It was in sealed bags like potato chips come in. I tried it, once. It was horrible.

People may say they want "healthier" movie snacks. I suspect reality will generally not support that claim.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We already stock a healthy option for both popcorn and soda. It's called "small."

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
During one of the big movie popcorn scares (OMG! Coconut oil!) Act III Theaters started offering air-popped unbuttered popcorn here. It was in sealed bags like potato chips come in. I tried it, once. It was horrible.
And the "OMG Coconut Oil!" crowd all ignored that the research indicating coconut oil to be bad only looked at hydrogenated coconut oil. Natural coconut oil is actually quite healthy.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No-one going to a Sony tentpole release wants to buy a healthy snack. I couldn't have dealt with 2012 unless I'd got the packet of candy to go with my large popcorn and drink. People forget that for lots of people the food is a part of the escape from reality which is what people want from the Cinema.

There was a terrible piece of journalism in (our) The Times and a couple of other outlets recently about calories and portion sizes. It completely missed the more interesting issues (for me waste and profit margins), just went on with the usual scare tactics and 'we should warn people' rubbish.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-15-2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from juice boxes and fruit snacks for the kiddies, customers have proven time and time again that "healthy snacks" do not sell at movie theaters.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh fruit and veggies have a shelf life of less than over night. Where does Sony expect that shit to be stored and kept fresh? We sell the healthiest beverage there is---bottled water and it goes very fast, even though we offer a free cup and ice for use with the water fountains if they ask.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 01:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say a theatre starts selling oranges. In season they are about 3 for $1 at the grocery store. With the usual theatre markup, they would be about $3 each. Does anyone really think the average movie going person off the street will pay $3 for an orange?

Even with my older art film crowd, we tried selling "healthy snacks" and they sat there for a very long time. The main consumers of the junk food we sell are the under-30's, who would be the least interested in "healthy" food.

Do you think Mr Lynton recently acquired a health freak trophy bride? [evil]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he has he is doing better for himself than those of us who consume far too many cinema snacks [Big Grin] It's almost impossible for me to watch something, even if it's artsy and/or serious, without at least a large Coke and some candy now.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Puullllleeeze!!! Do these people just wake up with a new brain fart one day?

Sales, all sales, is "find a need and fill it! This is no different. (Not only that, but from the Beta/SDDS people as well.) Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-17-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Sales, all sales, is "find a need and fill it! This is no different. (Not only that, but from the Beta/SDDS people as well.) Louis
Thank you Louis for the perfect lead-in for my post. [Big Grin]

This gem of brilliance comes from the same people who brought Beta and SDDS!! Get the picture?

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2010 11:51 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could never see a theater selling fruit, and I don't think that is what he is calling for.

To be honest, while I think it will fail, it's not a bad gesture to try at least. My theater sells juices (actual ones, not the sugared stuff) and what's wrong with trying to sell some granola bars or maybe yogurt?

I don't feel we should baby people and "WARN THEM" though, but providing healthier options is never a bad thing.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 12:09 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still predict that if some of the big chains try this out it will end up being "sell them something that appears to be healthy and isn't." For instance, most granola bars sold at the grocery store aren't all that healthy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell a surprising amount of bottled water, but really don't get many calls for other "healthy" options.

The truth is, for about 90% of moviegoers, that movie outing is the one time they don't give a hoot about their health. They're out to have a good time, and it includes joyously eating something that's bad for them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: