Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wheel Fell Off! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wheel Fell Off!
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my car for state inspection today. Dropped the car off right after lunch and went back to pick it up again at around 3:00 pm.

I drove out of the parking lot and drove less than 50 yards before I heard a noise coming from the rear wheel. I knew exactly what it was. The bone head mechanic didn't tighten the lug nuts!

It was the rear, driver's side wheel.

I tried to pull off the road but it was too late! The wheel came off! When the car bottomed out it felt like it was trying to do a clockwise donut on me. (Counter intuitive, considering the left side wheel came off. Isn't it?)
I was just able to skid the car to a stop in the next driveway.

-

I walked back and told the guy, "YOU have a problem! My wheel just fell off!" I think his chin must have hit the ground. He didn't seem to believe me until I pointed to the car and showed him.

He came over and jacked the car up and put the tire back on.
Under normal circumstances I would have been inclined to help him but, in this case I didn't feel obliged so I just stood back and took pictures.

I drove the car back and we put it up on the rack. We got it all back together again and the guy swears the car is safe to drive. There was a bit of scraping noise coming from the rear wheel as I drove into the shop again but we got that taken care of.

There doesn't seem to be much damage beyond some scrapes on the bottom of the drum. No bent lugs. No visibly bent or broken suspension parts. Bearings don't seem to be messed up.

I told him I want to drive the car around for a day before I say whether I think it's all right. I only have to drive to work tomorrow. It's an 8 mile trip, one way. I figure that and a couple of laps around the parking lot once I get to work ought to be enough time to tell if there is damage.

Is there something I should be looking for?
Should I make him replace the drum and the backer plate? Or, do you think I should just tell him to refund the inspection fee? (Sticker fees are non-refundable.)

Anybody have any advice?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 11:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened when I was kid in my dad's '68 Le Mans. He had just had new tires put on and we were on our way home when the tire came off and went rolling and bouncing past us as the rear went down to the ground. Luckily no one got hurt and it didn't happen during a street race (it had a 454 w/ 3 deuces). Pretty darn funny when I was a kid.

Anyway, hopefully they dis-assembled the drum to check for cracks and misaligned/damaged brake pads and internal components. Don't know if you have a solid axle or independent rear axles, but that should also be checked for warpage. Get it up to highway speed. If you feel any unusual vibration this will be a dead giveaway.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-08-2010 11:33 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep pockets Randy! Sue the bastards! [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2010 11:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did take the drum off and look inside. The brakes look good.
The brake drum was rubbing on the back plate. I think that was taken care of when they took the drum off and checked everything in there.

Independent rear axle. Don't think any of the struts are bent or anything. Maybe a little scraped up.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 01:23 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, fun... That happened to me on the interstate, but thankfully there was a noise before it came off, and I just happened to be at the exit for a rest area, I was on the off ramp when my rear wheel passed by me. Unfortunately mine wasn't just a poorly put on wheel, but my bearings stopped bearing (or something like that). Fun. [Smile]

-

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 01:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably also have another shop look it over as well just to be on the safe side.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 01:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they put the drum on a lathe to check the roundness or any form of warping?

I'd replace that drum anyway, for their could be hidden cracks, esp when the rear end of the car really hit the ground when that wheel fell off.

Good luck-Monte

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 07:04 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demand a 4-wheel alignment. A misalignment could cause abnormal tire wear that wouldn't necessarily show up until months later.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
Demand a 4-wheel alignment. A misalignment could cause abnormal tire wear that wouldn't necessarily show up until months later.
I like that idea. [thumbsup]
It will be easy to sell them on it too. They just installed new tires on the car. If the wheels are out of alignment because of THEIR fuck up, THEY will be replacing a set of new tires in only a few months.

Aligning the wheels only covers their own ass.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should replace the drum, check the backing plate, and the alignment. The drum especially since it's not a very good wheel.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious Randy... Did the guy use an impact wrench or did he properly torque the lug nuts to the correct spec when he put them back on? Lug nuts SHOULD NEVER be run home with an impact wrench!!!
I am asking because the inspection iddiotts here in Davis County, You-taw use an impact wrench. I bring my own torque wrench and make them use it so it is properly done.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 10:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used an impact wrench. But that's not what happened to cause the wheel to fall off. I found out the cause after I called back today.

I got the car inspected and I put two new tires on the front. One mechanic did the inspection. A second guy did the tire job. The first guy left the lug nuts on the back end only hand tight then went home, thinking the next guy would do it. The second guy (rightfully) assumed that the first guy put them all the way on.

When I called back I told him everything seemed to be running all right I told him I wanted a four-wheel alignment. He agreed almost immediately. I also told him I didn't want either of the previous two idiots working on my car again.

So, what's the reason you're not supposed to use an impact wrench? Does it stress the threads past proof?

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 10:32 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy
Let me preface this by saying that I am in the automotive repair industry. 40 years now in the automotive machine shop industry supporting garages, car restorers, etc.

If that drum hit the ground REPLACE IT! It is NOT safe. As a precaution I would also replace the bearings. The wheel should also be suspect. I would check it for bend and bolt hole damage.

Have a 4 wheel alignment done at a real alignment shop,not a chain store. My store is next door to a chain tire store that also does brakes and alignment. Their employees get three full days of training to become "fully" qualified. To quote I believe it was Wednesday Addams "be afraid, be very afraid"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 11:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The place is a Monro Muffler & Brake. I basically only go there for inspection because they are only a mile from my house. I can easily walk. Up till now, they have been good. There used to be an older guy managing the store but he's not there anymore. I think that's the root of the problem. The new guy is younger and I think he's trying to be friends with his employees instead of being the boss.

I just want to get away from this place. As soon as this is over, I'm out of there. I don't think I'll have any problem with them trying to pass off slipshod work. I didn't cuss and I didn't yell at them but I made it clear that I'm not fucking around.

I had two cameras on me that day. (A 35mm and a digicam.) I stood there and took pictures of everything they did while they worked.

The car needs a clutch job. The master cylinder is leaking. I'll pick up another drum and have the place that does the clutch put it on and I'll take the bill to Monro.

Right now, I want to get this done and get out of there.

I mean, seriously, what kind of a fucking Polack puts lug nuts on hand tight and walks away from the job?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Does it stress the threads past proof
Impacts are never set for the right torque requirements for lug nuts and I bet they use stamped, mild steel sockets which gives too easily instead of impact sockets being made of forged steel. If you wrench them on too tight, could warp drums/rotors. The tire/front end shop I always go to (Les Schuab in this area) always uses a clicker torque wrench to follow up after they spin on the nuts with a low tightening, 30lb impact gun.
quote: Randy Stankey
what kind of a fucking Polack puts lug nuts on hand tight and walks away from the job?

...one that is getting mininum wage and is getting treated like crap from his boss, thus hates his job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: