Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bug Plagues PlayStation 3; Sony Warns of Data Loss

Author Topic: Bug Plagues PlayStation 3; Sony Warns of Data Loss
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-01-2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Japan Today:
quote:

Bug Plagues PlayStation 3; Sony Warns of Data Loss

Tuesday 2 March, 07:12 AM JST

NEW YORK —

Sony Corp said a glitch has knocked PlayStation 3 users off the game console’s online network, and the company warned that data loss could occur if gamers continued using the machines.

Sony said in a blog post Monday that the problem was likely caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system, reminiscent of the Y2K bug a decade ago. The problem is affecting older PlayStation 3 models, but not the newest slim version that went on sale in September.

The company urged customers not to use the older PlayStation 3 systems until the problem is resolved, warning that doing so could cause errors and make it impossible to record gaming achievements and restore some data.

Sony would not say how many users were affected by the problem, which comes just as PlayStation 3 sales are picking up. According to the NPD Group, 276,900 units of the system sold in January in the United States, up from 203,200 a year earlier. In December 2009, meanwhile, nearly 1.4 million PlayStation 3 consoles were sold in the U.S.

Errors that PS3 users started seeing Sunday include the date of the systems being reset to Jan 1, 2000.

The problem was reminiscent of the Y2K bug, in which programming shortcuts caused some computers to malfunction in the new millennium because they interpreted “00” as the year 1900. Although a mass computer meltdown didn’t result, as some people had feared, hiccups were reported around the world.

Other problems resulting from the Sony glitch can include an error message saying the user has been logged out of the online game network. Users’ game trophies—their accomplishments—can also disappear.

Sony is not the first to deal with a Y2K-like bug years after 2000. At the end of 2008, thousands of Microsoft Corp’s Zune media players unexpectedly crashed, prompting references to “Y2K for Zunes.” Microsoft said at the time that the failures, which affected only the 30-gigabyte Zune models, were caused by a problem with their internal clock.

Sony said Monday that it hopes to resolve the problem within 24 hours.
_____

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2010 07:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already fixed. Only affected the Phats, not the Slims.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-01-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the problem is already fixed -at least from my own selfish perspective. It would be nice for the piece of shit who has my stolen "phat" PS3 to not be able to log into the Playstation Network with it.

I've mainly been watching Blu-ray movies on my new PS3 slim (and playing some Super Stardust HD). Very quiet. I don't think I've heard the fan kick up into high gear yet. The old "phat" version wasn't blow dryer loud, but sometimes the fan would get going pretty good.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-02-2010 01:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a gamer, but I hope to eventually acquire a PS3 for Blu-ray playback. Two questions:

Will the Slims eventually be able to play the older PS games? Are the older games going to be re-released in Slim-compatible versions? I understand that some people are hanging on to their Phats so they can play the older games. But if lots of used Phats start showing up, maybe I'll have some lower-cost options for Blu-ray p/b.

Are PS3s set up for selectable regions for Blu-ray p/b? Or all-region? Not that I may need that - Japan and the US are both Region A for Blu-ray.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-02-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding backward compatibility, if anything Sony has been removing features with each new version of the PS3. It's the one very stupid aspect to the console. I guess it makes sense from a business standpoint to nudge the Playstation user base harder and harder away from the aging PS2 platform.

The very first PS3 had hardware compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. It included the "emotion engine" chip set. The next generation of "fat" consoles shifted to emulation for backward compatibility, which helped reduce the cost of the system.

The last generation of the "fat" console reduced the number of USB ports from 4 down to 2, eliminated Super Audio CD compatibility and eliminated the flash card slots. Backward compatibility with PS2/PS1 games was also further reduced. I really don't understand the elimination of SACD from the consoles, especially when Sony's newest standalone Blu-ray players are adding SACD compatibility.

I don't think the new "slim" models have any backward compatibility with PS2 & PS1 games, which kind of annoys me since I bought a couple PS1 oriented titles from the Playstation Store. I'm hoping Sony might try to port R-Types to PS3 compatibility. The only other gaming system current PS3 models support is interfacing with Playstation Portable (PSP) gadgets.

Sony still sells new PS2 consoles for under $100.

Aside from the smaller, lighter and more quiet design the other significant improvement Sony added to the PS3 "slim" was bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. "Fat" PS3 consoles have to internally decode and output those formats as multichannel linear PCM.

I think PS3 systems sold in North America are set up at the factory for Region 1 compatibility. The Japanese versions of the PS3 are slightly different; my understanding is those systems have the additional capability of working as a DVR.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2010 11:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All PS3 systems without exception can play Playstation 1 games, real and downloaded from the PSN. PS2 compatibility will likely be added later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: