Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Andrew (Boner) Koenig Dead at 41

Author Topic: Andrew (Boner) Koenig Dead at 41
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2010 08:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew Koenig

quote:
Andrew Koenig's Body Found in Vancouver Park

Actor Andrew Koenig -- best known for his role as Kirk Cameron's pal Boner on the '80s sitcom Growing Pains -- was found dead Thursday in Vancouver, B.C.

At a press conference attended by Koenig's family Thursday evening, police said the actor's body was discovered "in a densely wood area ... unseen from the path" by "family and friends who initiated their own private search." (His father, Star Trek actor Walter Koenig, was among the people who joined in on the search.)

Foul play is not suspected.

"My son took his own life," his father Walter told reporters, adding that his son had been battling depression.

"Don't ignore it; don't rationalize it," he said in regards to depression. "Extend a hand."

See Us' photo tribute to stars gone too soon

The 41-year-old actor had been missing since Feb. 16.

After visiting pals in Vancouver, he never boarded his flight back to Los Angeles. (Prior to his trip, he reportedly had moved out of his Venice, Calif., apartment of nine years and sold a number of his belongings.)

His parents phoned police after receiving a disturbing letter from their son.

In an interview with UsMagazine.com earlier this week, his father Walter refused to discuss details on the note. But he revealed that his son was not taking medication for depression.

Asked how his son was coping with depression, Walter told Us, "That is what we are trying to find out ... In his point of view, things were not going well."

See today's top celeb news pics

Burlesque artist Jenny Magenta -- the last person to see Koenig alive -- told Us he "looked healthy" when he arrived in Vancouver Feb. 11 to visit her. "We were talking about old times and friends." But she told Us he soon began acting "out of character," insisting on paying her for allowing him to stay at her apartment.

"Think about it -- a friend who you've known for years comes to visit you and they're wanting to pay you rent?" she told Us. "That's just weird."

When she woke up Feb. 14, Magenta tells Us Koenig was missing.

"No parent should have to deal with anytime like this," Koenig's father Walter told Us in an interview earlier this week.

He described his son as "a good human being who has "an awful lot left to contribute in this world."

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-25-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, it is really tragic when someone is so despondent so as to take their own life. [Frown]

I used to faithfully watch "Growing Pains"... I thought it was a great show and was always embarrassed when they referred to his name as "Boner". Of course, all the folks that know/knew me, teased me that I wasn't thinking of a chef boning fish. [Wink]

The worst was when my 13 y/o son would ask me "Why do they call him 'Boner'?" He knew darn well and was just giving me some grief! HA! Ah, the treasured moments of being a parent! [Razz] [thumbsup]

I worked with Andrew's dad, Walter, on some of the "Star Trek" episodes and feature films. A real nice guy. [thumbsup]

My heartfelt condolences go out Andrew's family.

R.I.P Andrew.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2010 01:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad. I was hoping he would be found.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2010 01:20 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Another sad story: Michael Blosil, 18, son of entertainer Marie Osmond, dies in downtown L.A.

So young and so much to live for...a true tragedy.

Having worked with/helped 13-20 y/o Hollywood street kids (mostly boys) for the last 25 years or so to get back on their feet, off of drugs and/or stop selling their body for sex to get $ to live, it is always very painful to me to lose someone that is so depressed/despondent so as to take their own life.

Story link: Michael Blosil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: