Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Captain EO (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Captain EO
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 01:08 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney has re released captain eo to Disneyland. I read they removed some effects and improved the soundtrack. Does anyone know if it's digital or film projection?

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/02/official-reopening-date-set-for-captain-eo-featuring-michael-jackson/

quote:
On Tuesday, February 23, as a tribute to the magic, music and messages of “Captain EO,” the 3-D musical adventure is returning to the Tomorrowland theater in which it debuted. While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 01:42 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is it not possible to replicate the effects if they just restrike a new print?

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 01:57 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect because the original presentation had laser lights fire within the theater. And I further suspect that equipment was removed after Captain EO was pulled.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 03:47 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the in-theater laser beams, Cap EO also featured in-theater smoke (from "behind" the screen), in-theater LED illumination (to "simulate a star field") and additional lighting cues (to simulate reaction to explosions, laser beams, etc).

Probably, those physical effects (and the equipment to interface with them from timecode), are in a dumpster somewhere and they don't care enough to replace them.

Otherwise, the film itself should be exactly the same. Minus some scratches/dust if it's a brand new print [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw CAPTAIN E) at Disneyland in Anaheim California during it's original engagement and I was very impressed with the presentation. The 3-D was awesome and so was the all of the special effects. Despite the fact that much of the effects will not be replicated during it's current engagement it is still a fantastic show. I am glad the Walt Dinsney company brought it back.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in Disney World in the "Magic Eye Theater" (currently home to a well-worn presentation called "Honey I Shrunk the Audience").

I thought the coolest effect was the asteroid at the beginning that floated out close to your face and then blew up. I remember that, the strobes, lasers and fog. As for the film itself, I can't say that I remember a single thing about it except that it looked a little like the 'Beat It' video crossed with a bad Star Wars movie.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember waiting in line for about two hours to see Captain EO in Walt Disney World when I was a teen in the 80s - back when MJ was all that. It was also just about the only 3D film exposure I had at that point in my life. I thought it was quite awesome, dude! [Cool]

The star field wipe in the beginning that kicked it off really stuck with me along with the thumping sound track and the bright green lasers firing around the theater.

I remember the guy at the front of the theater who introduced the show was a young black gentleman. He said, "There are real lasers firing in this theater." He paused and then leaned forward revealing a wide part shaved on the top of his head and in a very serious voice said, "Don't stand up."

I'm sure it wouldn't hold up quite as much with me today, but I still have fond memories of seeing it and I'd love to see it again.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-23-2010 09:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen Captain EO once, at Tokyo Disneyland in 1995. Don't remember much of the visuals, but the sound was awesome.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captain EO on youtube

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-24-2010 12:05 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney has a produced few of these 70mm 3D films made for the theme parks. Dual 70mm 3D must look incredible -- it's nice that they didn't dumb it down and convert it to dual 2k or 4k video.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big-time Announcer Voice]
MUPPETS... IN... SPACE!
[/Big-time Announcer Voice]

I think I finally figured out the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks. They threw all of these characters into a blender and, presto!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Disney has a produced few of these 70mm 3D films made for the theme parks. Dual 70mm 3D must look incredible
I'm pretty sure the newest one of those is "Mickey's Philharmagic" which does look great. It could be a LITTLE brighter. I mean, you never forget you're wearing the damn glasses.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-25-2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak Magic Eye Theatre at Disneyland is still dual strip 70mm.

A new print was struck for this engagement of Captain EO.

70mm Disney 3D films produced for use in theme parks:
Magic Journeys
Captain EO
MuppetVision 3D
Honey, I Shrunk The Audience
A Bug's Life 3D: It's Tough To Be a Bug
Mickey's PhilharMagic

There was a rumor that Mickey's PhilharMagic would get a west coast home inside the Kodak Magic Eye Theatre, but many have pointed out that that auditorium is not large enough to accommodate the flying proscenium that show requires. Another rumor is that Monsters Inc Laugh Floor may get put in there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laugh Floor is a great show. It definitely would take less room than PhilharMagic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: