Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone Have Experiences With Childhood Seizures?

Author Topic: Anyone Have Experiences With Childhood Seizures?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son caught a bug this past week and Wednesday he had a seizure caused by his fever. It was the absolute scariest thing I have ever been through. All I could do was hold him while it was going on and I felt totally helpless. His lips turned blue, his face got very pale and his eyes rolled back in his head. Afterwards he was out of it and just laid there trying to catch his breath and cry. I called 911 and they took him to the emergency room. I was just at the pediatrician's office with him right before it happened. The doctor told me it is pretty common for children under six to have a seizure when their fever spikes. I didn't think much of it when she told me and I didn't think it was anything to really worry about. We got home and he was watching cartoons next to me on the couch and I heard a funny noise. I had been looking at my phone and I looked over and he was seizing and fell over. I have that terrible image burned in my brain and cannot seem to get it out. [Frown]

It is called a Fibrile Seizure. There are no long lasting effects and later that night he inhaled a big dinner and was running around the house like nothing happened. I think it was much worse on me than it was for him since most people who have siezures tell me you don't remember it. I hope he never goes through that again. I think if he would have been older and could tell me what he felt I would be able to deal with it better. It was hard to see my little 21 month old guy go through that and be that vulnerable. He is so independent normally.

I know one other Film-Tech member had a child with this problem but was wondering how many here have gone through this.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No personal experience, but my sister had a seizure when she was about 10. It was the scariest thing I ever saw. I'll never forget the look on her face. That was back when doctors did house calls -- our "family physician" got there within 5 minutes.

It turned out to be a mild case of epilepsy. She took phenobarbitol for it for several years and then eventually eased off of it, and has had no trouble. She turned 50 last year.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It turned out to be a mild case of epilepsy
I had those as well off and on until my mid 20's, but mine was mainly due to shattered nerves, but did take the phenobarbital on occasion to quiet me down. I still, once in a great while, can feel it come back, but now, I can easily find ways to rid of that feeling.

But, having seizures sure aint to fun - don't wish those on anybody.

-Monte

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my kids have had them. They were both around 1-2 years old. They say it's not how high the fever goes. It's how fast it gets there. There were no lasting effects.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Febrile seizures" OYE VEY! [Eek!] Been there BIG time with my youngest daughter (Now fifteen). She had at least a half a dozen or so episodes between 1 & 3 years. Scary, you bet. The worst part is the possibility of developing mental disorders later in life. I've had some Drs. say "Nothing to worry about" & I've had others say it's a distinct "Possibility". Either way they SUCKED [fu] .

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 01:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred Georges
The worst part is the possibility of developing mental disorders later in life. I've had some Drs. say "Nothing to worry about" & I've had others say it's a distinct "Possibility".
Everything I have read online says they have no long term effects. One website even claims that kids that have had them perform better on average....but yes, they do SUCK! [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: