Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy 20th Birthday Adobe Photoshop

Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday Adobe Photoshop
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-19-2010 08:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title says it. On Feb 19, 1990 Adobe released the first version of Adobe Photoshop. The commercial version grew from a little piece of software written by Thomas Knoll called "Display." Thomas and his brother, John Knoll (a visual effects expert at Industrial Light and Magic) built upon it, Adobe bought the rights to it and then the rest is history. John Knoll still works at ILM and Thomas has helped drive Photoshop's improvements over the years.

Photoshop's improvements have also required ever more disc space. Version 2.5 fit on only four 3.5" floppy discs and installed in just a couple minutes. Now Photoshop CS4 Extended consumes roughly 1GB of hard disc space. The Adobe Production Studio CS4 installer fills 4 DVD-ROM discs and takes over an hour to install.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-19-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photoshop CS4 by itself probably installs faster than the one on 4 3.5" floppy disks. Those things were slooow. They read, like, 4KB per second. At least that's what it seemed like. Then there is switching the disks, the hyper slow 15rpm computer hard drive, etc.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 10:29 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, somewhere around the late 1990's, Adobe bought a Windows 3.1 competing product, Aldis Photostyler, which they renamed to Photoshop and adding a few features from their old Photoshop product.

I don't know what is under the hood, whether they just took the user interface from Photostyler, or the entire underlying engine, but the photoshop interface was almost identical starting in 1998 to the defunct Aldis product.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-19-2010 10:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, post screenshots from each version!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-19-2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I could even get the old versions to install. About the best I could do is show a pile of Adobe software boxes or disc cases/sleeves.

Regarding Aldus PhotoStyler, that was an early 1990s application originally developed by ULead and acquired by Aldus. Version 1.1 was one of the first applications to allow full color bitmap image manipulation on the Windows platform (Photoshop 1.0 and Photoshop 2.0 were Mac-only releases if I remember correctly).

I only have vague memories of seeing PhotoStyler in action. One marketing firm in North Dallas where I worked in 1993 had it and Aldus PageMaker installed on a couple of machines. I don't remember its interface looking like Photoshop. Adobe had already completed a number of major improvements to Photoshop when they acquired Aldus in the mid 1990s.

Adobe discontinued PhotoStyler, kept the PageMaker application and spun Aldus Freehand off to Macromedia. I remember Macromedia selling programs like XRes to compete against Live Picture, but they were never able to develop a real "Photoshop-killer."

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-19-2010 08:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Photoshop GUI gallery

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: