Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kathryn Grayson has died.

Author Topic: Kathryn Grayson has died.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard it on BBC radio news

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 04:39 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She passed away in Los Angeles on Wednesday, she was 88.

She was in such popular MGM musicals as:
  • "Anchors Aweigh"
    "Show Boat"
    "Kiss Me Kate"

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 08:31 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never cared for her voice or that of Jane Powell and Deana Durban. They all sounded pretty much alike. I guess that MGMs idea of what was popular. I enjoyed the films she was in with Sinatra, Kelly and Howard Keel. RIP Kathryn.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 08:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kathrine Grayson had played a very important part in my life because it was her movies as well as Rise Stevens in GOING MY WAY and Mario Lanza in THE GREAT CARUSO that made me love classical music including operas when I was a very young man. RIP, Miss Grayson

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 01:56 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Kathryn.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 09:55 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Kathryn was on her night club performance tours, she would run 16mm clips of her film musical numbers prior to doing the same number live.
Turner Entertainment happily supplied these to her, often cutting them out of unused TV prints, then junking the rest of the print.
I met her, mostly by phone, during this time. We first met in person at a screening of the restored SHOW BOAT at the Director's Guild. I can't remember just when this was, but it had to be in the early 1990s.
We exchanged Christmas Cards for a number of years after that.
She was a wonderfully nice person.

DM

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Miss Grayson in 2003 at the World 3D Film Festival in Hollywood. She was charming and entertaining and seemed very healthy. I am surprised to hear her age at her passing as simple math tells me she was 82 or so at the time of the festival but seemed at least ten years younger! I hope we will see her again soon in 3D on blu-ray! (I emailed George Feltenstein at WB home video to inquire as to whether they have begun preparing their library classic 3D films for the blu-ray format. I will, of course, report back if I get a response.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: