Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cell phones are 3G but on a 4G network?

Author Topic: Cell phones are 3G but on a 4G network?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2010 11:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep seeing TV ads for cell phones all over the place proudly announcing they are the latest 3G phones. It just a big number with a big letter next to it....Ooooh, how impressive a phone with a 3G on it must be! No explanation in the ads are ever given as to what that means. But one carrier, I think it's Sprint, shows a cell phone with a big 3G on it and then they say on the only 4G network and show a phone with a 4G on it....no explanation of what they are talking about is give there either.

I have to buy a new cell phone. What is this 3G/4G crap? Does it mean anything? Is it typical meaningless technobable for the sake of ad hype (4 MUST be better than 3, Eunice!)? Do I have to wait for 4G phones? Does it make a difference?

Someone needs to light off a bunch of stink bombs in these wireless carriers' offices.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 12:35 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G == Generation.

3G is the 3rd generation of wireless networking standards. And 4G is the next one (and is, as you might expect, faster), essentially a successor to 3G. Though, the term is pretty broad in that there are different technologies used by different companies/agencies that have different speeds that are all referred to as "4G."

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 01:58 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3G network offers you the ability of direct internet access without the need of a GPRS connection. Its about a 3MB internet connection live so you can get e-mails, browse internet, upload to facebook e.t.c. directly via your phone at no time. I suppose the 4G network will be faster but I have not heard any details about it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I JUST WANT A TELEPHONE! [Mad]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 09:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I JUST WANT A TELEPHONE!
Heh. That was me until I tried an iPhone (3G). Now I can't live without it. Well I could, but I choose not to.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 09:30 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I JUST WANT A TELEPHONE!
Then just get whatever cheap phone you want and ignore 3G coverage. 3G and 4G connections give you instant ability to go online anywhere w/o needing a wifi connection or searching for a supported wifi hotspot.

Personally, I don't need it so I don't care.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My phone is still stuck on 0.5G beta.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe I am surprised you even have a phone. I thought you were the telepathic communication guy. Speaking of phones I got a,week ago the HTC hero and I totally love it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2010 02:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 3G 'phone, but I keep it locked on 2G almost all the time. In many of the places that I go 3G service is marginal, and it keeps flipping between the two, which drains the battery much faster. It makes no difference to voice or text, and even internet access is fast enough with GPRS for things like reading a few e-mails, or checking the news headlines.

You need 3G to make video calls, I think I can live without that, or to play streaming media from the Intranet, and web pages load more slowly on 2G.

[ 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-15-2010 08:19 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just want a 'telephone', 3G and 4G mean nothing to you. "3G" and "4G" are simply buzzwords for data services and the speeds/features which work with them.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy one with the new windows phone 7. They are pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMH0Zkr1NQE

Also, this upcoming Samsung looks really nice.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/14/samsung-wave-first-hands-on-bada-packed-and-super-fast/

quote:
Samsung's press conference just got underway in Barcelona, and one of Mobile World Congress' first smartphones to debut this year is a real doozy. The Wave (S8500) that we've heard so much about lately is finally official, and it's the first handset to ship with Bluetooth 3.0. It's also packing 802.11n WiFi, TouchWiz 3.0 and the company's own Bada mobile platform. You'll also get a 3.3-inch "Super AMOLED" (saywha?) display, and while the 800 x 480 resolution is just dandy. Digging into the internals, you'll find a 1GHz processor, 5 megapixel camera, aGPS, accelerometer, 2GB or 8GB of internal storage space, a microSD expansion slot, multi-codec support for DivX, XviD, MP3 and WMV, and support for virtual 5.1 surround sound and 720p recording / decoding. The company's also touting its mDNIe (mobile Digital Natural Image engine) technology, which is already used in its LCD and LED TV lineups; in other words, this phone is probably one of the better ones for multimedia viewing (so long as you don't venture under direct sunlight, of course). It'll be available worldwide starting in April, but unfortunately pricing remains a mystery.
Phones are now doing 720p playback/recording with a 5Mpixel camera.

Soon they'll be doing 2K [Wink]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2010 07:25 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there is, or at least was in working prototype form, one with a projector built in. Ideal for the 'Happy Slappers' to show the recordings of their victims.

I wish they'd drop a lot of this junk; it seems almost impossible to find a simple basic 'phone these days. The thing I'd most like to see a total ban on would be the ability to play 'music' in horribly distorted form through the speaker. It drives me mad to have three or four lots of this going on at the same time on the bus going to work every day.

It was always said that 3G coverage in the US was well behind Europe. My 'phone can do 3G and tri-band (900, 1800 and 1900 but not 850) GSM 2G. I tried enabling the 3G yesterday while waiting at the EWR station in Newark, and no 3G service. Same in Hoboken NJ. Whether the means that there is no 3G service in those locations, or that the network that I can roam on doesn't support it, or that the 3G here is a flavour not supported by my handset, a Sony Ericsson K610i, I'm not sure. I'll try it in Manhattan later, if I can get there through the snow!

In the UK we tended to jump from basic GSM direct to 3G, there was little support for 2G enhancements like EDGE, which I think are more widely used elsewhere. In the UK 3G is quite widespread, but there are plenty of places where it's not available. Everywhere that I've been able to get 3G has supported HSDPA, though the speed has always been well short of the theoretical maximum, almost never more than about 1 Mb/s.

Unless you're using a 'phone as a modem to connect a laptop to the Internet, which I don't normally do as I have a separate USB modem, I don't see 3G as being any great benefit. Most of he Internet applications you can use on the 'phone itself are quite usable on GPRS. You really don't need 3G if all you want to do is read a few e-mails.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That WP7 got a full page writeup in the latest Time Magazine. LOoks pretty cool. Since they won't be tied to AT&T, maybe I'll be tempted to get one.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Samsung looks cool but theres no mention of battery life.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: