Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Capt. Phil Harris of "Deadliest Catch" passes away on Tues.

Author Topic: Capt. Phil Harris of "Deadliest Catch" passes away on Tues.
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-11-2010 09:15 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many fans of "Deadliest Catch" (Discovery Channels' show about Alaskan Crab fishing) hang out here, but I was saddened to find out today that Capt. Phil Harris, who skippered the F/V Cornelia Marie died on Tuesday due to complications from a massive stroke he had suffered on Jan. 29th. Phil, along with his sons Josh and Jake (or as Phil affectionately called them, "Ding" and "Dong") were a true family, and pulled no punches in their interactions on the show. Phil was 53.

Phil had developed massive blood clots and pulmonary emboli, and his illness and recovery were chronicled on the show.

This hits close to home, as some of you know I have had my own battles with blood clots and PE's. I am also only eight years younger than Phil....I was shaken pretty badly by this news. I had posted get well messages about our common health issues on some of the C/M's websites.

The job of crab fishing is extremely stressful and ultra-hazardous, and Phil was a wonderful captain who also had a great sense of humor as well. (His "Crab Fart" theory was one of the show's funniest moments.)

R.I.P. Phil, and condolences to all his family and friends.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: