Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » YAY - Snow

Author Topic: YAY - Snow
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.. WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM CST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM CST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING... ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN OPEN AREAS CAN BE EXPECTED TUESDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS... STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL BY TUESDAY NIGHT WILL GENERALLY BE IN THE 6 TO 12 INCH RANGE... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER TOTALS POSSIBLE... ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE MICHIGAN.

* HAZARDS... ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL RESULT IN TRAVEL BECOMING DIFFICULT BY LATE TONIGHT. IN ADDITION TO THE FALLING SNOW... NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH TUESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING... RESULTING IN SEVERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN OPEN AREAS. THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR GROUND BLIZZARD AND NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS TO DEVELOP IN OUTLYING AREAS LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS... SNOW IS LIKELY TO RESULT IN DETERIORATING ROAD CONDITIONS TONIGHT... WITH SNOWFALL LIKELY MAKING TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. BOTH MORNING AND EVENING RUSH HOURS TUESDAY ARE LIKELY TO BE IMPACTED BY THIS STORM. AFTER THE SNOW ENDS TUESDAY NIGHT... BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL RESULT IN BLIZZARD OR NEAR GROUND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN OUTLYING AREAS MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL ALSO MAKE IT DIFFICULT FOR ROAD CREWS TO KEEP ROADS CLEAR OF SNOW. PERSONS FLYING INTO OR OUT OF CHICAGO AIRPORTS CAN ALSO EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS AND PROBABLY SOME CANCELLATIONS TUESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW IS ISSUED WHEN 8 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS FORECAST TO OCCUR IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE HEAVY SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

O joy.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You call that snow? We've had around 8 inches of snow on the ground for 3 months. Grab the shovel! [Big Grin]

The most I ever saw at one time here was 26 inches which fell overnight and completely buried my car. But, a lot of places in the mountains can get a lot more than that in a day.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Seattle Airport waiting to return to Virginia from SE Asia. According to my son the house has 30" of snow and has been without power since Friday. Last month we had a storm dump 21". Snow sucks.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 03:15 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Us flatlanders hate snow. No one here can drive on snow or ice. We have had 2 school "snow days" already and the snow only got to 6 inches. (snow days = more employees needed at the theater).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have alot more snow here in the mountains of western NC than we do these days. That said, it has snowed twice with substantial amounts, and once with lots of ice since December 20th.

I can drive in the snow and have no problems except with others who have no business in the snow who insist on passing people instead of driving at safe speeds and usually causing the traffic to come to a full stop due to an accident they cause.

On local TV, most of the cars involved in wrecks (and flipped in the roadway) are SUV's and 4WD trucks. A Hummer was wrecked about a mile from my home a few nights ago due to speed and black ice.

I have a heavy old front-wheel-drive car, and a 4WD truck. My little Benz stays home in the snow. It's too light to go on ice without some major snow tires or chains.

Its fun watching people whine on local TV about how they moved here to get away from the snows of winter. HEY PEOPLE! You didnt move far enough south! Winter weather is typical here. Native WNC people just deal with the snow and keep quiet.

I love the snowfall! [beer]

More coming on Wednesday, so they say!!!

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

I've trudged through knee-deep snow more than three times already this season. It's no big deal. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2010 09:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and we haven't had a big snow fall since the day after Christmas ... and we're basking in 40 plus degree weather.

..but on the flipside: overcast with good rainstorms over here.

But, where I'm from the eastern part of the state, hearing reports of heavy snow is nothing new to me...

But, good luck to those folks who are now in this snowy weather condition that they get to and fro in safety...and driving a 4wheeler or SUV isn't the total answer-you still have to drive defensively no matter what.

-Monte

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. Try Finland. Digging your car from under ten inches of snow in the morning, then again when you need to leave work. Scratch that -you don't need to dig it out completely, it won't start anyway because it's -26 celcius (-15 F). Then make your way home however you can and start digging your yard clear for the other car that your husband hopefully got to work. Spend half an hour at that, then carry firewood inside because it's so damn cold your heating system is worth exactly "%¤#&%/!!

Oh darn, and remind the projectionist to shovel the twelve inches of snow somewhere off of our door so that people can actually get in if anyone dares to come. And keep the jumpstarteer ready if a customer or two can't get their cars started because they're frozen darn near solid.

I'm so sick of winter. Can you tell?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2010 11:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a choice was at all possible, I'd much rather have lots of snow than freezing rain and ice. Sure, snow is a real pain but it does not cause the sort of damage common for serious ice storms.

My whole neighborhood was without power for 4 days and nights straight. On the fourth night of that blackout my house got looted. That would not have happened if we received snow instead.

My back yard is still full of downed tree limbs torn to the ground by the heavy ice. There's no telling how many trips I'll have to make to the dump to clear all that mess. Tree shredding crews will be around to clear a lot of the tree trash, but I can't wait until March for them to arrive. If the piles of tree limbs sit there that long it will kill big patches of grass.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-10-2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snow?
Is that that white cold stuff that falls from the sky and is, well, cold?... and wet?... and slushy?

Nope, none of that here.

Current time: 3.56 AM
Current temp: 21 C / 69.8 F

Queensland Australia: Beautiful one day, Perfect the next. [thumbsup]

..and we have great [beer]

(Note to Queensland Tourist Authourity- Send payment in un-marked notes to previously supplied Post Office box)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-10-2010 02:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elise: a place where the women shovel the snow and bring in the firewood?????

Sign me up!!! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: