Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A quick question for all you web designers

Author Topic: A quick question for all you web designers
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, how do I add that little icon to a website that shows up next to the URL on the address bar?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You add an icon file called favicon.ico to the top level directory of your web site (so you fetch it with http://mysite.com/favicon.ico). Alternatively, you can put a link tag in your page of the format "less-than link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="http://mysite.com/myicon.gif" /greater-than".

Wikipedia has more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-05-2010 11:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See Film-Tech's favicon? That's as big as you can get. You don't have a lot of space, so use it wisely.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-06-2010 12:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Favicons suck. Just my opinion. They need more pixels.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so nobody should use them at all because there are not enough pixels.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-06-2010 12:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Place a 16 X 16 pixel image (GIF or PNG) at the top level of your site. For instance, name it, "favicon.png"

Then use the following in the head of any html page that wants to use it.

<línk rel="icon" href="favicon.png" type="image/png">

etc...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-06-2010 12:39 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Yeah, so nobody should use them at all because there are not enough pixels.
Absolutely. 'Cuz when you're working on a 15.4" notebook screen with 1920 X 1200 resolution (thanks Sean Weitzel) the favicons can get damned tiny. Make 'em 32 X 32 or 64 X 64! They might look bigger if I dragged them to my Sony Bravia XBR4 52" HDTV set, but -sniff- I don't have that anymore. Yeah. Quick check. Yep, got the Sig Sauer P226 "hot" and hoping those bastards come back looking to get more "loot."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are 16x16 for the same reason Film-Tech photos are still limited to 550 pixels wide and the pictures gallery is limited to 625 pixels wide. People have low resolution screens. Or at least they did in 1999 when we decided on those dimensions (logic being that people who had resolutions of 640x480 could still view the entire image, the navigation frame was at the bottom during that time). I have pushed to allow larger dimensions here, but I guess most Film-Techers are still stuck in 1999 and 1024x768. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is if we allow wider images on the forum, it forces horizontal scrolling for anyone without a high enough resolution monitor.

We are considering upping the resolution of the warehouse.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2010 03:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also allow a special tag to automatically resize forum pictures. It won't speed up the loading, but it will prevent the scrolling. When a user clicks on the picture, the full size image appears. I do this at Magicbox, it is really easy to do in HTML. If the forum can run simple HTML codes behind the scenes (which it can because I can bold my text), then it is possible to do this, embed Youtube videos or whatever you want! The problem would be the members remembering to use the [simg] tag instead of the normal [img] tag. A script would have to be written to where the forum sees an image larger than 550 pixels wide and it gives the [simg] tag instead when people upload.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I figured it was an easy trick. I just never knew the "favicon" name. Thanks all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: