Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » University Place 8 temporarily closed. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: University Place 8 temporarily closed.
John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 10:46 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon, an out of control Saluki Express bus (our name for the bus line) crashed right into the east wall of the Kerasotes University Place 8. Apparently the bus driver suffered a "medical episode" (speculation says he had a stroke) and drove the bus from the Wal Mart next door, drove across the road that divides the properties (which is 4 lanes), into the east parking lot of the shopping center that houses the theater, totalled about 4-5 cars, and finally crashed right into the wall of the theater. The bus crashed into it really hard, hard enough to put a good sized hole in the wall. Fortunately the theater was not occupied at the time, the first shows were not for a few hours. As of right now Kerasotes has temporarily closed the theater until a structural engineer checks the building out. The local paper already has a small story up on their site, with a picture.

http://www.thesouthern.com/news/local/article_132f1c1a-0abf-11df-a375-001cc4c002e0.html

-

WSIL story, with video:
http://www.wsiltv.com/p/news_details.php?newsID=9350&type=top

Can't directly link it, but KFVS also has a video.
http://www.kfvs12.com/

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been funny if there was a movie playing when the bus came crashing through the screen! [Big Grin]

(Okay... not really... but it's funny to imagine it! [Wink] )

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you weren't having a retro matinee of "Speed". Talk about realistic looking 3D.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a movie made in the 80's about a wedding party where a bus crashes into a movie theater? I can picture the scene but I can't remember the name of the film. [Shrug]

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 11:18 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Too bad you weren't having a retro matinee of "Speed". Talk about realistic looking 3D."
LOL I was thinking the same thing.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 11:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't there a movie made in the 80's about a wedding party where a bus crashes into a movie theater? I can picture the scene but I can't remember the name of the film. [Shrug]
Bachelor Party.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 11:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's it! [Smile]
The movie where the donkey snorts cocaine and dies in the hotel room. [Eek!]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-27-2010 12:45 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
The movie where the donkey snorts cocaine and dies in the hotel room.
They made a movie about the Showest Film-Tech Drink?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-27-2010 03:57 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bachelor Party

The bus 'arrives' at 2'50.

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2010 07:30 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was auditorium #8 that suffered the damage. #7 has been shut down as well just to be on the safe side. Right now operating as the University Place 6.
Picture from the Southern:
 -

Bigger pic:
http://www.thesouthern.com/image_452ee1f7-987b-5edc-ba3c-48021202b020.html

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-31-2010 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And even with that it still isn't as bad as the Princess II!

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 06:39 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does AMC take this " as is " ? Could be a way to knock down the purchase price a bit [Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-01-2010 06:41 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the surround speakers? And that exit sign is not to Chicago code.

EDIT: Oh, Carbondale, not Chicago. Nevermind on the sign.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like auditorium # 8 is BUS-ted till further notice! OK..I'll save everybody the trouble [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2010 08:47 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the surround speakers: This theater was originally an AMC complex built in 1987, and they are up in the ceiling. Would be ironic if they get control of this theater, again.

Getting technical, the theater utilizes ORC (tan/brown) Optimax consoles, and Christie P35GPS projectors. As for platters, I haven't been able to get a good glimpse. Although once I was able to get a good peek thru the port glass and saw a platter deck with fins on the bottom.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: