Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Windjammer' at Bradford: digital?

Author Topic: 'Windjammer' at Bradford: digital?
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-15-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it.

web page

I wonder if this means there will soon be a new DVD release as well.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in short, yes a DVD is coming.

http://in70mm.com/news/2009/windjammer/index.htm

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2010 06:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and maybe with two versions: the standard widescreen and the "Smilebox" presentations.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember projecting this title in 35MM when it was a first run feature. The photography was nothing short of stunning.

KEN

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2010 02:35 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says they've had to work from a composite 35mm print. Does anybody know whether it will have the German or English track, or a Swedish one? The quality of the Greman track that they have run at Bradford in the past was very good, probably the best of any of the 3-strip films that I have seen, but the colour was very badly faded.

quote:
"In the case of "Windjammer", this will be done from "composite elements" such as the 35mm scope print (all three panels on one 35mm scope frame) of "Windjammer" that Thomas Hauerslev found housed at the Swedish Film Institute.

Because of the grain structure from the 35mm composite print, our final result will not look as good as the "How the West Was Won" re-mastering done at Warners in 2008. But we will make it look a good as we can. The print will be digitally cleaned up, each panel color corrected, "dust busted" and each frame aligned as good as possible. A lot of work will need to be done to minimize the join lines.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to the article: "The sound track will be English only and cleaned up as well with a 5.1 mix. The company will then have a HD master to attract home video distributors as well as show anywhere in HD Digital."

Strohmaier was able to locate an english track and have it cleaned up and a duplicate made for the presentation of Windjammer in Seattle at the 2003 Cinerama festival. I presume this is the track they're going to marry to the composite print they are using for this release.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-25-2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how I amost missed reading this thread because I have always wanted to see WINDJAMMER again after I saw it at the Princess and the Queen Theatres in Honolulu. The long defunct and demolished Princess in downtown Honolulu at the time was the city's venue for three strip Cinerama and I saw it in the Cinerama setup there. This was possible because both the three strip Cinemiracle and Cinerama process was very similar. Because the Princess had shown all of the Cinerama films by that time, I think this was the last film projected in the three strip process at the theatre before they removed the system and resumed showing standard 35mm films. I saw it again a few years later at the Queen in 70mm projected on a flat screen. Although not as impressive as the three strip version, the 70mm was very good. Beside the stunning visual images of the film, the music was gorgeous and I wore out the Columbia LP record I had in my collection.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: