Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » HDMI to coponent cable, comparable to HDfury?

Author Topic: HDMI to coponent cable, comparable to HDfury?
Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32714

This looks to be an interesting alternative to the 300$ HDfury adapter. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing on that web site indicates that it ignores HDCP, which if true, will mean that the originating device will down-rez to 480p any HDCP encoded signal.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at the pic of the box and the 1080 support listed, and hoping [Razz]

Though you are correct, this does not list HDCP at all.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2041677

The poster here reports that he has tested it and it outputs full 1080 but I'm a bit skeptical

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 02:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, I have a brand new HD Fury that I wont be using. Turns out I dont need it. Input is DVI, output VGA. I know this isnt the thread to do business, but if you are interested PM me.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this in the discussions area, take it for what you think it means:

compactmedia Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:15 PM Reply

This device is certainly not "useless" as there are many digital cable boxes here in US/Canada alone that either do not have YPbPr output or broadcast a lower encoding on the YPbPr.

The chip inside the adapter provides the essential ability of stripping the HDCP out and sending the full signal to a device not supporting of HDCP. For example, these have been popular with the Slingbox/Hava community as neither of those devices have HDCP abilities.

To be clear here, it gets around even the most draconian of HDCP sources (Scientific Atlanta HD STB) as well as PS3, X360, Tivo and a number of Dish boxes I have tested as well.

Doubtful that these would be blacklisted in the key system but you never know. I believe the chip used in the adapter are the same Silicon Image chips used in many other devices.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: