Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » PowerBook G4 running slow on Internet apps

Author Topic: PowerBook G4 running slow on Internet apps
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I have a Powerbook G4 which is running slow on all java/flash based applications like on Facebook apps or java games. I have 1GB DDR2 ram installed and 1.6 processor. No additional startup programs start except the operating system. Mac OS 10.4.11
Thanks
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-01-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use Safari. Firefox tends to be a little resource intensive on a PowerPC.

In fact, the G4 itself may not be enough to handle the latest advancements online. HTML5 and other "Ajax" technologies place a lot of burden on the browser to draw and move elements around.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know in your case but it would be useful if you checked how much space is left on your startup drive.

If your drive gets more than 80% or 90% full the computer will start slowing down. Swapfiles and other stuff will start to bog you down.

Clear out all unused junk. Go through your prefs and application support folders and delete anything you don't use. Also delete unused printers from your Print Center. If you have more than a few unused ones it can slow you down.

Don't keep a whole lot of files/icons on your desktop. If you have too many, it can take a toll. Move them to folders and keep them in your "Documents", "Pictures", etc. folders.

Finally, if you haven't done so in a long time, run your cron scripts and do a permissions check/repair.

Doing all of these things will speed up your computer, in general, but should also speed up your browsing.

While you are at it, delete all your unused add-ons and extensions from your browser. Delete any add-ons that you don't use all the time too.
When it comes to add-ons, Firefox can easily become bloatware if you go wild with the extensions.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 06:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err...some of this is true, but some of this is misinformation [Frown]

We presume the question is why Demetris's computer has gotten slower recently, and that it was not always slow.

So Safari, while perhaps faster, isn't the answer.

Yes, a drive that is too full or too fragmented can cause performance problems. But swapfiles should be contiguously allocated so should not matter.

Preferences and support files from unused applications will not slow down the machine. In most cases, they are not large so their contribution to disk usage is not worth the effort to remove them.

The number of files on your desktop will nto affect the performance of applications.

--jahwk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.applesource.com.au/how-to/soa/Quick-tip-Keep-Mac-OS-X-Desktop-clutter-free/0,2000451082,339287516,00.htm

quote:
...[K]eeping dozens or hundreds of files on the Desktop can significantly degrade performance. Not necessarily because the system is sluggish with regard to rendering the icons on the desktop and storing them in memory persistently (which may be true in some cases), but more likely because keeping an excessive number of items on the Desktop can cause the windowserver process to generate reams of logfiles, which obviously draws resources away from other system tasks.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051117154624368

quote:
The tip: Reduce the number of icons on your Desktop!

That's it. Really. No, really, try it and see. If you only reduce it by a few, you probably won't notice much of a difference, but the more you remove, the snappier it will feel (dependent on your machine, of course).

Why? Well, every icon on your Desktop is a little window, and as such, has a corresponding backing store allocation in the window server. Lots of these little windows apparently can put a strain on the window server, especially when you've got lots of other (normal) windows open as well.

Deleting prefs and support files is, admittedly, a minor help but if one is going through his computer to clear out all the trash that's built up it is worth it to take five minutes to clear out that junk too. The same thing goes for unused printers. It only takes a few minutes to get rid of that junk. While you're at the task of clearing out junk, you might as well clear out these too.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
macs get slow too?? Guess all that extra money was a waste.
I can't afford to be a cool mac guy [Razz]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fail to maintain any computer and it will stop working correctly.
What you're saying is like telling people they shouldn't buy a BMW because you might get a dented fender if you back it into a telephone pole.

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a car if I can't crash it into things at will and not get a scratch.

[Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
What you're saying is like telling people they shouldn't buy a BMW because you might get a dented fender if you back it into a telephone pole.
My BMW is Invincible [Razz]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up until last April, I used my Powerbook G4 with a twelve inch screen for a about five years and two months and never had the problem described here. It just quit on me at that time and the good people at the Mac store told me it would be a lot cheaper if I bought a new computer rather then try to repair my old Powerbook. I followed their advise and because the MacBook Pros were selling for a little over two thousand dollars at the time, I bought a regular MacBook and found the new computer was a hell of lot better than my previous G4 model. I was however in for a shock when about a month and a half later, Apple introduced a new MacBook Pro. The new MacBook Pro has a smaller screen than my MacBook and was priced at about a hundred dollars less than what I had paid for my new computer. Grrrrr
I got over the fact that I could have bought a MacBook Pro if my Powerbook could have hung on for another two months but I have gotten over it and I now love my new MacBook very much.

-Claude

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1999 vintage iMac DV. I have replaced the hard drive twice and have maxed it out on RAM. I only replaced it a year ago but, at the time, it was still working perfectly if not a little slow. But, for its age, it is still as useful as it was new.

I also have a 2001 vintage white iBook. ("SnowBook") That computer was repaired by Apple under warranty for a faulty component on the motherboard which caused the video card to stop working. About a year after that, the hard drive died due to "click of death." At that time, I had been using that computer, almost daily for more than 5 years. Disappointed as I was, the failure was not unexpected under the circumstances. About a year ago, I came across a student at Mercyhurst who had a computer, just a year newer than mine, with a busted screen. Apparently the computer had been dropped or something. He was going to throw it out. I gave him a few bucks for it and used it as a donor machine to repair my out-of-commission computer.
Again, the computer is now working as well as it did when it was new.

My third, and current, computer is a MacPro 8-core. It's got all the latest bells and whistles. It's fast as I could ever need a computer to be. I have all three of my Macs plus my wife's PC networked via a 3Com switch I got from Mercuhurst when they had a fire sale of some of their old equipment.

All of these computers get regular maintenance. They get their hard drives cleaned out at least two or three times per year. I remove old prefs, junk apps and unused extensions. Every year or two I check and replace the hard drives if needed.

I don't see very many slow-downs on any of these computers. If I do have a problem it is something out of the ordinary. Usually, it is something I can solve in a day or so with proper research and application of mental energy.

My mother's computer is an old IBM Aptiva which is going on 12 years old. Her hard drive crapped out a little over a year ago and I was not able to get a replacement copy of Windows that would run on it. I was NOT going to pay for a new copy of Windows anyway. So, I replaced the drive, copied all her important files to the new drive and installed Ubuntu Linux. It's been running for over a year, going on two, without any major problems at all.
(I love to joke around about my mother being a Linux geek! [Wink] )

If a computer gets regular maintenance, I see no reason why it shouldn't last 10 years or more without major problems.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..I got a 1996 P90 that I love to play with on occasion. With the original Bigfoot (5.25 inch) 500meg HD and 2 megs of ram with Win95OSR2 on it.

Thing can boot faster than my Dell laptop with XP here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: