Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Senator Theatre, Baltimore.

Author Topic: The Senator Theatre, Baltimore.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's happening to this theatre? When they were in difficulties, a couple of years or so ago now, I sent them a donation, and was put on their mailing list. I am still receiving mailings from them; most recently yesterday afternoon. It was announced that the theatre was to be sold at auction during the Summer, in July I think, but I haven't heard that it was sold, the style of their mailings hasn't changed, and they're still running shows. Recently, there was something about a meeting at which four options were to be discussed, but it didn't say what these options were.

What's happening; has the theatre changed hands? Is it's future now secure?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-30-2009 08:53 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is closed and (I believe) the city has taken ownership and is trying to find a new owner. Several groups have put in bids with plans for various uses. I have more info at the office, but I believe an annoucment on the winner is due soon.

Guttag may have more specific info as he is in the area.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they're still running shows, unless the announcements are being sent out by some automated system that hasn't been told that they're closed, and that seems unlikely since I'm sure one of the recent, within a week or two, announcements was to say that one of the films was to have its run extended.

The owner/previous owner thought that not being allowed to compete directly with another local theatre, with the same films was his biggest problem. I think this was a mistake; this sort of competition seldom seems to work, unless a film is popular enough to fill two theatres for each show. Better to show another film, even if a slightly less popular one, and get the whole audience, than to split it with another theatre.

They seem to have been running classic films recently; I've no idea how well these shows have been doing, but the fact that at least one film has had its run extended seems to suggest that at least some of them aren't doing too badly.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2009 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The City owns the property now. Their doors are still open and are still doing live and rep film shows. The previous owner is "running" the theatre until the City finds a suitable new owner to sell to. I hear that the lead candidate is Towson University.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: