Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Score another victory for the terrorists (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Score another victory for the terrorists
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to travel a lot in the past when it was exciting and fun but not too much anymore after 9/11. Restrictions were tight after that very tragic day but got worse after Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with an explosive device in his shoes. Now everyone has to take their shoes off when they go through airport security checkpoints. In the last twenty four hours it got even worse!! There are now new restrictions after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to destroy a Northwest Orient Airline's jet when it was making it's final approach into Detroit International Airport. Because of the incident, the new rule prohibiting passengers from getting out of their seats during the final hour of a flight is going to cause all kinds of problems both on the plane and on the ground. The problem will occur mostly on the ground when hundreds of people on arriving flight will flock to airport bathrooms before they make their connecting flights. If they have tight flight connection schedule, they will be in trouble when they cannot promptly use a bathroom because many others would be ahead of them. This will also be a problem with people who had arrived at the gate for their first flight and want to use the bathroom one last time before they board their planes. If they do not have enough time to do that, they too will be in trouble. Another new rule prohibits passengers from having anything on their lap during the final hour of the flight and forcing people to put everything away they were using during the flight such as laptops before the new time restriction . Some airlInes are even advising passengers to limit carryon items to only one piece or none at all.

All of these restrictions have been put into place because of terrorists have used commercial aircrafts to kill thousands of innocent Americans on September 11, 2001 and have tried to destroy other aircrafts to kill thousands of more innocent people but were prevented from carrying out their evil deeds by fast thinking alert fellow passengers. Despite the fact that some of these terrorists have failed carrying out their mission, they have in a way won because they have taken away our freedom of enjoying air travel.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. These new restrictions suck, if they're as stringent as you describe...I enjoy reading during flights and the idea of not being allowed to have anything on my lap during the last hour of a three-hour flight is just stupid. Books (at the very least) should not be a huge cause for concern.

We'll next be flying in October, hopefully some of this insanity will have gone away by then.

The TSA is doing more to ruin the airline industry than terrorists ever did. I used to think of flying as a kind of adventure, but now it's the absolute worst part of any trip.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-27-2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are not yet official TSA guidelines, as the TSA has not yet announced them. AirCanada leaked them early, and most believe this leak to be accurate.

TSA is being vague right now about the rules, citing that they want them to be unpredictable, and passengers on one flight may experience different rules than those on another flight or in a different airport.

This is still rapidly developing. Google trends is showing "New TSA Rules" as the 36th most popular search at the moment. We will know more as soon as passengers in the air today land and tweet about it. [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2009 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the that it was on international flights the no getting up during the last hour.

I know for a while while using National Airport (nearest downtown DC) there was a no getting up during the first or last 1/2 hour (within 1/2 hour of DC) or the plane would fly to Dulles immediately. I don't think that rule is still in effect though.

This reactionary rule making is stupid. We have computers right? The guy was on a watch list of about 550,000...why didn't the computers link a guy on the list with the air ticket and then cause him to go through a more detailed search? Thats what computers are great for. It is stupid that the "leaders" make that 550,000 name list seem so large...it is if people are trying to match names...not computers! In the size of the population of the planet 550,000 isn't that big a pool for a computer to sift through.

The whole shoe thing is also just plain stupid.

Steve

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-27-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest rumor I've heard is that seatback in-flight-entertainment systems are no longer allowed to be used. They are concerned about passengers having access to the built in flight tracker many of these systems have, which shows the position of the plane on a map.

Again just rumors. Can't seem to find any verification from the TSA or any legit news source.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-27-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The next step will be binding and blindfolding all passengers. And all babies will be required to scream the entire trip.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what could be done in the last hour of a flight that couldn't be done at any other time. If someone wants to hijack a plane, a rule telling them to stay seated is not going to make them stop. I also do not understand the "nothing in your laps for the last hour" thing. Do they expect someone to remote pilot the plane with a laptop?

The TSA are the real terrorists. They are also 100% useless.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning's Honolulu Star Bulletin reported the 'No standing during the filnal hour of the flight is limited to international flights but the Honolulu Advertiser reported the policy also applies to domestic flights as well. I am more inclined to believe the Honolulu Advertiser's report. Once again, all of the new rulings set in place because of the incident on a NWO flight on Christmas day is just plain STUPID!!!

I am scheduled to fly to Sacramento next July to do a photo shoot and plaan to pack all of my photographic equipment I will need to do the shoot in a airline approved tote case and my Apple Powerbook laptop computer in a separate Tenba Messenger bag and hopefully cool heads will prevail and there will be no changes to the current policy regarding carry on items on a plane.

-Claude

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for the cabin crew who will be cleaning up the cups full of urine. Will have to drink a lot less alcohol on my next long-haul flight!

The no liquids rule from UK airports is annoying, many of the budget carriers charge for hold baggage so I usually just take a big hand luggage bag if flying in Europe, have to rely on hotels to have toiletries or try and borrow someone else's stuff in a hostel.

The threat of terrorism makes travel amongst other things more inconvenient, but I think that adapting to the threat makes our society stronger, and their ideas weaker.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this proposal becomes a regulation, I sense a great marketing opportunity for the makers of the Stadium Pal.

The only problem I see is that it, too, could be put to malicious use by a terrorist, triggering a TSA ban on such devices and making things even more difficult for the average airline passenger.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 08:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what I've heard of this incident, I'm not sure TSA guidelines would have caught this guy even when properly enforce. Based on my experience flying over the last 5-6 years (averaging about 3 round trips a year), there doesn't seem to be any way for TSA to catch something held on your person which is non-metallic. That means they wouldn't even catch someone with small bottles of something in their pants.

Short of actually patting down every passenger, I don't see how they can honestly prevent a truly determined terrorist.

I believe the security measures are more about the illusion of safety than being truly safe.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2009 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy and about 550,000 others were on a suspect list. If you are on the list and you check in...you get the mark that ensures a "pat down" or even the funky x-ray machine...it is that simple. If you are on the list and shouldn't be, there should be a means to get off of it.

But prevention starts with using the information you have. The TSA finding the odd threat should be the safeguard not the first line of defense.

We have these computers with databases...why are they not using them?

Steve

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ta Dah
 -

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex is a flight attendant, and she says that te new procedures are for international flights only, plus there will be extra sky marshals. She said that the procedures will end or be altered on the 31st, it sounds like a temporary thing.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, I'm trying to get my head around this:

The guy, who is already the subject of a recently-updated warning, gets through security with a common and easily-detected explosive, so EVERYBODY gets imprisoned in their seats and barked at to get their books off their lap for the last hour.

Yeah, makes as much sense as most of the other regulations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: