Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Remote car starters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Remote car starters
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 12:24 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever had or have one? We a searching for one for my dad. He is having trouble turning the ignition key sometimes. I don't need one with a n alarm or any other features, just door locks and ignition. Also has anyone ever installed one?

Thanks, Rick

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw one at Wal-mart Wednesday while I was getting prepared for the snow storm to roll in. Almost bought it, but alas it was not for manual transmissions. Think it was priced at 49.99.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 02:19 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one from Sam's Club. Bulldog security made it. Fairly easy to install if you are tech savy and works great. Has a bunch of features but you need to check and see if you car will need a security bypass module. most new cars need them because they have some sort of fuel shutoff system.

Here is their web site

Bulldog Security

I would definitely suggest getting the T harness if they sell one for your make and model as it makes all the splicing in the steering column much easier

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-27-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The aftermarket remote starts won't solve your problem, because they still require you to put the key in the ignition and turn the car "on". If you don't, the car will shut down when you put it in gear.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but its much easy to put the key in and turn to on, than to turn to crank and hold it

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-27-2009 11:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I'll volunteer to be the dick and ask, "If your father has trouble turning the key in the ignition, why is he still behind the wheel?"

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-27-2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Adam, you don't need to "volunteer" ...ya Brute! [Moon] [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:26 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, starting to get arthritis in his hand. Acts up sometimes, usually after loading grocery bags. Has no effect on his driving. Dick

As far as having to put the key in the ignition, and turn it on, then what is the point of a remote start? I thought the point of a remote start was to be able to start it from a remote location, like from inside the house during winter months so when you have to go outside, the car would be warmed up. Otherwise it's pointless to have one if you have to go outside put the key in and then use the key fob to start it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 11:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
As far as having to put the key in the ignition, and turn it on, then what is the point of a remote start?
The car engine IS running thanks to the remote starter, but you need to "turn the key on" before it will go into gear, otherwise it will shut down when you put it in gear. This is a theft protection feature.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks mike,
Then this will work for him. This has only happened to him a couple times and he just can't crank the ignition.

Rick

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about keeping a pair of Vice Grip pliers in the glove box? [Wink] [Wink]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-28-2009 01:55 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy him a Prius or one of those fancy German autos with a power button. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 10:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had that feature the last time we rented a car -- I think it was a Chevy of some sort. I liked that!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keys are so totally low tech when you have a fob that can open the doors. There is no reason that fob can't have an extra button to start the engine.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have one myself, but the systems 3 or 4 friends have in their cars turns the engine off when the door is opened, that function is prevent somebody from stealing the car.

Also if the system dies, jumpers will have to be placed across the circuits that the control module completes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: