Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » highway driving tips? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: highway driving tips?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any info about construction that will cause delays? I'll be driving from Indiana to florida via I-75. My main concern is Georgia/Atlanta as it is the longest part of the trip. I usually get stuck in construction traffic, and have had to wait hours to move about 1 mile. I've even had the luxury of walking around my car in the middle of the interstate and meeting other drivers who had as much "road rage" as me. Just wondering if anyone has recently driven this route so I can prepare.

Thanks,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't driven it in a while yet I did hear that Mothra called Godzilla out and they are meeting down on I-75 to settle it once and for all! [Big Grin]

Seriously, drive safe and have a great holiday!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have GPS units that recalculate routes based on traffic alerts if that helps.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-23-2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major road construction projects on Interstate highways will last for years. So chances are good you'll be able to see the biggest projects along I-75 by looking at satellite images in Bing Maps and Google Earth. More than a few major US cities have traffic cameras that are accessible via the Internet.

I've seen "road geek" videos on YouTube where people drive certain routes through big cities and record the view on video. Those videos may provide some idea about big construction projects in progress. Many of those videos have dates mentioned on when they were taped.

My brother lives East of Atlanta, so I've heard a few stories about traffic and road projects there.

You'll probably want to use the I-285 loop and bypass west of the downtown area, but watch out on the south side of the loop near Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport. There's a big tunnel project in progress where I-285 is being buried under new airport runways. That's just a couple miles from the I-75/I-285 interchange on Atlanta's south side.

If the traffic is bad enough to cause hours of delays you might also consider bypassing Atlanta altogether. You might try staying on I-65 to Birmingham and then taking US-280 from there to Opelika, AL and Columbus, Georgia. Follow US-280 farther SE to Richland, but stay on the four lane "Corridor Z"/Georgia 520 highway through Albany and on farther East until the road hits I-75 in Tipton. GA-133 from Albany to Valdosta is a disputed "short cut" but I think it takes more time than just staying on the four lane highway to Tipton.

I lived in South Georgia back in the early 1990s, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive from Louisville to Orlando 2-3 times a year.

I go to Lexington, Ky then straight southward through the middle of Atlanta. Avoid Atlanta (and Nashville) during any rush hour. That's why I go through Lexington, trying to avoid both of these in the same day is impossible.

No construction lately of any major consequence. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Major road construction projects on Interstate highways will last for years. So chances are good you'll be able to see the biggest projects along I-75 by looking at satellite images in Bing Maps and Google Earth.
That's true, but how often are those images updated? My mom-in-law's house has been built for 4 years now and it still doesn't show up on Google Earth images.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-23-2009 09:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate giving kudos to a Microsoft-operated venture, but I think their Bing Maps satellite imagery is updated quite a bit more often than the imagery in Google Earth. The "bird's eye view" aerial images also seem to be updated more often.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, Rick! Have a good holiday. [Smile]

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 02:40 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know we are in the opposite direction but stay out of Illinois the yearly moving of the interstate / highways / tollways 3 inches to accommodate the budget spending requirements takes it toll on everyone.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do not want to see downtown Atlanta, take I-285 east as you approach Atlanta on I-75, follow I-285 until you get to I-675, and then take I-675 south until it joins back in to I-75. Mapquest it and you will see what I mean.

Do watch your speed on I-285 on the east side through DeKalb County. They raise a lot of revenue there. You will be tempted because the flow of traffic usually runs pretty fast. Speed limit is 55 unless it changed recently.

Bobby, the tunnel project on I-285 at the airport was completed a long time ago. One of the new runways goes right over I-285. The tunnels rise above I-285, kind of like a long enclosed bridge with a runway going over the top side of the bridge.

Safe travels to you.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 10:55 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently moved to NY state from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and have never seen so much pointless delays and back-ups caused by road construction. I don't know what the deal is! In Mass I guess they did a lot of work at night and it seems here in NY state they do it during the day during rush hour. Also it always seems traffic will be dead stopped for 5 miles then when you finally get up to the work site there is NOTHING going on. Drives me nuts! I have to communte 4 hours a day to and from work so every extra minute spent at a pointless back up is infuriating! Any one know why NY sucks so bad at road construction?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 11:55 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is well known that New York has only 2 seasons, Winter and Construction.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-29-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean--I think that part of the difference is that NY actually maintains its roads. The roads and bridges in Mass. are generally in pretty horrid condition.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2009 12:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
The roads and bridges in Mass. are generally in pretty horrid condition.

Who's in charge of the State Highway Dept? Are they broke, or can't spend money?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-29-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it is a combination of lack of money and general mismanagement that makes everything cost several times what it should, with the result that needed maintenance does not get done.

Recently, though, there seems to be some progress, at least on some of the bridges that are most badly in need of repairs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: