Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Arnold Stang dies at 91

Author Topic: Arnold Stang dies at 91
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-22-2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm first! I'm first! Arnold Stang has passed away. If you don't know who he was, you would probably recognize his voice. I always like his voiceover work.

Full story.

BOSTON – Arnold Stang, an actor who appeared alongside Milton Berle and Frank Sinatra and was known for his nerdy looks and distinctive nasal voice, has died. He was 91.

Stang died Sunday of pneumonia at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Massachusetts, said JoAnne Stang, his wife of 60 years.

She attributed her husband's career longevity to his willingness to tackle any professional challenge.

Despite often playing goofy characters, Stang was the consummate professional, preparing the same for his biggest roles and the smallest commercials.

"I remember how smart he was, and how hardworking, and how disciplined he was, no matter what the role," his wife said.

He voiced cartoons, including the lead character in the 1960s cartoon "Top Cat," and did dozens of commercials, perhaps most notably for the Chunky candy bar.

He appeared in movies alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bill Cosby and continued acting into his 80s, playing a role in the 1993 movie "Dennis the Menace."

Stang invented and mischievously perpetuated a story that he was born and raised in the Boston suburb of Chelsea. But his wife said he was really raised in Brooklyn. He lived in the Boston suburb of Needham for the past decade.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Arnold as Ray the gas station owner in IAMMMMW! Didn't realize he was the voice of Top Cat too. RIP funny man!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 01:59 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always enjoyed Arnold. He added a depth to the industry that will be missed. RIP Arnold.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the "Gas Station Guys" in IAMMW had a broken arm when the gas station sequence was filmed. I don't know if it was Arnold the othr guy but next time you watch the movie you can tell his arm is in a cast but concealed.

RIP Arnold... you gave us alot of laughs in your lifetime.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: