Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Actress Brittany Murphy dead at 32 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Actress Brittany Murphy dead at 32
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Source: TMZ

quote:
Brittany Murphy died early this morning after she went into full cardiac arrest and could not be revived, multiple sources tell TMZ.

She was 32.

A 911 call was made at 8:00 AM from a home in Los Angeles that is listed as belonging to her husband, Simon Monjack, the Los Angeles City Fire Department tells TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where she was pronounced dead on arrival. Her time of death was listed as 10:04 AM.

Murphy starred in such films as "Clueless," "8 Mile," and "Don't Say a Word." Murphy was reportedly fired from last film, "The Caller," after reports she was problematic on set.

UPDATE 3:11 PM ET -- Sources tell TMZ Brittany Murphy's mom discovered her unconscious in the shower. We're told when paramedics arrived, they quickly determined Murphy was in full cardiac arrest and immediately administered CPR. They continued CPR in route to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center -- several miles away -- and Murphy was unresponsive. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

We're told the LA County Coroner's is picking up Murphy's body from Cedars later today and will launch an investigation.

Story developing ...

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-20-2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty tragic news. I'll go ahead and state the obvious. Considering Murphy's young age and the circumstances leading up to this chances are strong her death is due to a drug overdose.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-20-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bet: Diet pills.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just too bad...that girl had some talent. She sure looked thin in recent pictures. My guess is anorexia and drugs.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-20-2009 11:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She was a lovely girl. [Frown] I don't think I ever really knew her from anything other than Luanne in "King of the Hill."

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-20-2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, she had diabetes, which increases the risk for a heart attack and/or stroke.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-21-2009 12:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, diabetes certainly increases the odds of death being natural causes. You really have to maintain that condition. My cousin Adam has the really bad type of diabetes. His father died of it, losing his sight, both arms and both legs to amputation before succumbing to the disease. I know a few people who have the less severe, but still really serious adult-onset variety. Often that comes from being overweight. One of my coworkers who is diabetic used to be a very overweight guy, but he dropped much of the tonnage yet the diabetic condition still persists.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2009 12:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are two different diseases. There's a lot of money to be made off of the Type 1 kind, so don't look for a cure soon.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-21-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That brings up the Chris Rock joke about America's health care system. We don't cure shit anymore. We gotta getcha on the comeback. There's lots more money to be made from that. You don't make lots of money by curing a condition. You make a fortune by having to treat it for the rest of the patient's life.

I don't remember the name of the doctor/scientist from Australia who proved most ulcers are caused by a certain kind of bacteria. He came up with the cure for the problem, even using himself as a human guinea pig for the tests. The American "Big Pharma" industry set out to ruin this guy. They sued the living hell out of him and tried to ruin his professional reputation. American drug companies wanted to charge patients more than $100 per month for acid reducing bullshit drugs forever (you can now buy these same drugs over the counter for cheap to treat heartburn -the only thing those drugs are suitable for treating). They did not want to properly treat the problem. The American drug companies only wanted to maintain the problem. Nothing more. There's lots more profit to be made by only maintaining a medical problem and keeping it in its present state.

This kind of makes me think about why there is no cure for HIV/AIDS after all these years. We're fixing to be in the year 2010 when intelligent robots were supposed to be doing all our routine labor for us. We were supposed to be flying to work in flying cars (or battling in some post-apocalyptic hellish scenario). At least that is the vision the movie industry and popular culture painted for us 20-30 years ago. 2009 doesn't seem a whole lot different from the late 1980s except for our personal computers, TV sets and phones being more fancy. So we have people afflicted with AIDS managing to survive with the condition for decades, but paying a giant fortune worth of money to keep the condition maintained. This is the whole damned scam. Yeah. Chris Rock was right. Our medical guys these days don't cure shit. There's no money in it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 01:35 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I don't remember the name of the doctor/scientist from Australia who proved most ulcers are caused by a certain kind of bacteria. He came up with the cure for the problem, even using himself as a human guinea pig for the tests. The American "Big Pharma" industry set out to ruin this guy. They sued the living hell out of him and tried to ruin his professional reputation.
You've got some correct info in there but the wrong info is just massively wrong.

1)The pair of doctors didn't prove that ulcers are caused by H. pylori; they merely discovered the bacteria and proposed that it might be related to Peptic Ulcer Disease.
2)They were not sued.
3)There was no conspiracy against them. If there were, you would've expected the researchers (who are usually funded by Big Pharma) would've ignored them and not bothered. But instead, the research community was abuzz with this new research and verified their initial findings pretty shortly.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-21-2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the late 1990s 60 Minutes had a feature about this topic and the Australian scientist responsible for much of the breakthrough on ulcer treatment. According to that feature, American drug companies did indeed set out to ruin the guy. He was threatening their multi-billion dollar business of selling worthless acid reducing medicines as ulcer treatments. It was only after others had confirmed this guys findings about stomach bacteria that those same American drug companies did an about face.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After I first read this thread last night I told my wife about it. The first thing she said was, "I bet it is drug related". Just her overall look of dark eyes, peppy behavior and her thin appearance gave the impression that she was strung out even if she wasn't.

I think Bobby is on to something though with our scientists not wanting to find an actual cure for anything. Someone told me one time that the American Cancer Society was the top grossing charity in the world. Now that is completely hear say so I can't say for sure if that is true, but my point is that diseases are a huge money maker in health care. Why can we send people to the moon but after all of these years we can't find a better way to treat cancer or even find a cure. The best things we have come up with is injecting people with poison to kill the cancer or shoot them with radiation. Brilliant! [Roll Eyes]

Just follow the money trail......

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-21-2009 09:24 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doctors only make money when we are sick.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I thought when I heard the news report which stated that it "appeared she died of natural causes," was, "Natural causes at her age -- who are they kidding and how did they get to that conclusion before any autopsy?" Autopsies and coroner's official statements usually take weeks before a cause of death is made public. Here the "handlers" made this statement out of the gate, based on what?

The natural death thing is just so much Hollywood BS.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... IF she took a handful of pills, NATURALLY she would die! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: