Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I think I have an ulcer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I think I have an ulcer
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know if you have an ulcer?

I've been under alot of stress lately. The last few weeks, I have puked almost daily. A couple of weeks ago, I woke up and my face and pillow were all wet and slimy. I got up and looked in the mirror, and half the side of my face was smeared with blood and my pillow had a big bloody spot on it. Since then, every morning, my pillow is covered with smaller blood stains from me drooling in my sleep. A few days ago when I got sick, it was mostly blood.

So, anyone had an ulcer? I have no stomache pains, and I don't want to see a doctor. (no family doctor, no money, no insurance, no desire, stubbornness)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude - I thought of a half dozen wise cracks but I am going to skip them all...

Please GO TO A DOCTOR ASAP.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be caused by any one of a number of things.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vomiting-blood/MY00571/DSECTION=causes

It could be because you swallowed blood due to a nosebleed or cut of the mouth/face. It could also be from something as serious as cancer.

Yes, it is likely to be due to an ulcer or similar thing but vomiting blood can also be caused by drinking too much.

I know you don't WANT to go to the doctor but, if you don't, you're going to have to accept your fate. If it turns out to be something serious like cancer and you don't do anything about it you don't have any room to cry about it later.

It is possible that you only have some minor ailment which, if treated now, could be treated quickly and cheaply. If you let it go, it will get worse. You will be in for even MORE expense and more aggressive treatment. Do something about it... TODAY.

If you don't have money, look for a community clinic.
When I was paying for my own medical bills, I used to go to the "welfare clinic." They only needed to know my income for the last three months then they charged me on a sliding scale according to my ability to pay.

I had a urinary tract infection and it was quite painful. I went to the clinic to get treatment. The whole thing, including urine tests, blood tests and antibiotics cost less than $100. They let me pay $20 per month until I paid it off, interest free.

Like I said, if you don't do something about this and it turns out to be something serious, don't come crying to me!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my post about ulcers got me thinking about the cause of my stress. My ex-wife......and dealing with her during the holidays. I have to drive 800 miles(one way) just to pick up my kids. I'll have them for a few days which means I'll drive 3200 miles in one week [puke]

Anyone here ever do any jail time? Don't worry, I'm not going postal, just remenescing about my ex! I've spent more time in jail and rehab than should be allowed per divorce. No violence, just money and alcohol issues.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could very well be from stress and too much drinking.

If that is what the problem is, a doctor could prescribe some Ativan. I have occasional stess. One of those really does help.
A scrip for some Lorazepam (generic for AtivanŽ) should only cost you $10-$20 for 30 tabs.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I've gone to the doctor or dentist, I've always thought the "diagnosis" was going to be worse than it turned out to be.

There was a period of my life where I stopped going to the dentist for about 9 years -- no particular reason except I hated going. Well, after a while I had an abcess that was so painful I couldn't stand it, so I finally made an appointment. I was sure he would say "You're going to lose all your teeth, let's just start pulling right now!" But as it turned out, I only had one cavity besides the abcess. 2 appointments and I was all done. Now I go twice a year.

My dad had a bad cold earlier this year, refused to go to the doctor, and wound up dying of pneumonia. His mother had the exact same fate in 1971 and died at age 65.

So the moral is, get it taken care of. The problem may not be as bad as it looks, and if it is, better to get it taken care of now than let it turn into something worse.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should definitely see a doctor. That could be something serious like esophageal cancer. Do you get a lot of heartburn? I used to get heartburn every day and finally went to the doctor. He put me on Nexium and it cleared the problem up. Turns out if you ignore constant heartburn it can irritate the lining of your esophagus and lead to cancer. That is one of the bad cancers too. If they find you have esophageal cancer, you are pretty much done. Not much they can do about it after they find it since it is so nasty. I had to have a scope done last year so they could look at my esophagus and make sure I was okay. Thankfully, everything turned out well.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Esophageal+cancer

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, ulcers aren't caused by stress. When they tell you "X is caused by stress" it's code for "We don't know what causes it but stress makes everything worse."

We now know that ulcers (at least 90-95%) are caused by a Heliobacter Pylori (a bacteria) infection.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 12:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Lorazepam
[thumbsup] Ummmm.... Great stuff to help with anxiety and stress, but DON'T get addicted to them since, being a controlled substance, they can be habit forming.

Ya, head to the doc on this issue.

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Just so you know, ulcers aren't caused by stress.
Neither do you catch the flu from getting wet feet but, if you have cold, wet feet and you are exposed to a flu virus you are much more likely to get sick than if you stayed in the house and kept yourself warm and dry.

However, *IF* you have too much stress, eat a poor diet and drink too much *AND* you are exposed to H. Pylori *THEN* you are much more likely to end up with an ulcer.

BTW: Alcohol and cigarettes both exacerbate ulcers. If you do have an ulcer, it would be wise to cut out the beer and smokes or, at least, cut down as much as you can.

quote:
...but DON'T get addicted to them [Lorazepam] since, being a controlled substance, they can be habit forming.
Yes, doctors don't prescribe more than a 30 day supply unless there is a good reason. It is easy to get hooked on them.
I got a prescription about two months ago but I have only taken, I think, three of them. I just don't take them unless I really need them because, if I eat them all up and I have a really bad day and I really NEED one, I won't have any left. Then I'd be screwed even worse.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-18-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Anyone here ever do any jail time?
Yes. Child support, which is a bullshit thing to go to jail over. At least in my case, because I couldn't do anything about it. I wasn't hiding, and always gave her money when she asked. She would never tell me where she lived, however, and was always hiding from me. But it wasn't because I was violent or abusive towards her - I never was - instead, she preferred to pretend her current boyfriend was my daughter's "Dad" and she had a happy little, unbroken family. She never liked to admit her failed marriages, and always pretended they never happened.

One day, I got a call from the cops. They told me they just wanted to ask me some questions. Next thing I know, I'm in cuffs and being hauled off to the Louisville jail. My boss at the time (Louis) bailed me out the next day. It was a hellish experience.

When my court date arrived, I told the judge "you know, you could've just issued me a summons." The judge said they wanted to make sure I appeared in court. Hell, I'd never ran from anything before, and I wasn't hiding - my wife was, though. Her previous husband never paid child support, for like 15 years, and NOTHING has ever been done to him!

I was an easy target for the cops, though... and I have mistrusted them ever since because they lied to me when they arrested me. To this day, I will never volunteer information to a cop, I let them do all the talking.

But to your problem. Chris is right, it is a bacteria that causes ulcers. You sure it's not coming from your mucous membranes? The dry air of winter can cause that. And this is a stressful time of the year, for that matter - plus all the other crap coming down on you. I'm going nuts myself. Christmas, my divorce, starting over and money worries, the theatres are going crazy at work, and yesterday was the anniversary date of my daughter's death. I need to get away.

Also, what is this friggin' outfit you're working for that they don't even have insurance on you?! [Mad]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Neither do you catch the flu from getting wet feet but, if you have cold, wet feet and you are exposed to a flu virus you are much more likely to get sick than if you stayed in the house and kept yourself warm and dry.

However, *IF* you have too much stress, eat a poor diet and drink too much *AND* you are exposed to H. Pylori *THEN* you are much more likely to end up with an ulcer.

I'm well aware. It's as if you ignored the second sentence I wrote (hint: where I point out that stress makes everything, including risk for ulcers, worse).

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that we all know that Chris is feeding his ulcer well.....
[beer]
Please get it looked at. I agree with the above posts about free or low cost clinics. They aren't the best if you can help it but then again it aint that great when you're paying top dollar anyway.

If you don't want to get checked out do it for your kids. They deserve to have their Father in their life and if it would somehow end up being serious you need to do what can be done now.

Paul

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Yes. Child support, which is a bullshit thing to go to jail over.
Yes it is. I was first ordered to pay $450 a week when I got divorced. It didn't take long to fall behind on support payments. The legal fees alone were about $100,000. I would wire money to her everytime I did a job and got paid. I wasn't far behind, I just couldn't make them in a timely manner. I went to Florida for some hearing, I don't remember what it was about, but we were in the judges chambers (me, my ex, judge, and attorneys) and right away her attorney tells the judge that I'm behind on support payments. The judge calls the bailiff over who handcuffs me and takes me to jail.

Night in jail, $750 bond. The next day, all I can do is bitch at my ex about the money spent. I think I "owed" her about 7 grand at time. We had already spent about 20 in fees, and all I could do is remain calm and try to explain to her that that money could've gone to the kids. Bitch [fu] Sorry, done ranting

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-18-2009 02:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
The judge calls the bailiff over who handcuffs me and takes me to jail.
That incenses me. Like you were going to go anywhere (you were IN THE FRICKIN' COURT already, for crying out loud!), and like that would SOLVE anything. They have been on this male-punishment kick for way too long! Easy targets; Joe Citizen and speeding motorists. Shooting fish in a barrel, while real criminals are out on the streets and the cops just look the other way (e.g., from any reality TV show: "Over there is a known crack house"... as they cruise right on by). [fu] They're too afraid of real criminals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: