Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Roy Disney has passed away at 79 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Roy Disney has passed away at 79
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy Disney has dead of cancer at 79. He was the nephew of the studio founder Walt Disney and son of Roy O. Disney.

Roy Disney Dec. 16th, 2009
Roy O. Disney Dec. 20th. 1971
Walt Disney Dec. 15th. 1966

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a good time of year for the ol' Disney family! Are there any Disneys left at Disney? I read he had 16 million shares of their common stock at the time of his death. Being worth a half billion dollars just because your uncle was a visionary doesn't suck. In any case I wish the best for his family.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-16-2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What terrible news. Certainly an inspirational man and the catalyst for the much needed change at the top of the Disney company in 1984, and then again only a few years ago, change which has just started to bear fruit. I'm very pleased he got to see (just barely) the third resurrection of 2-D animation at Disney before he passed.

On a side note, adding to the coincidence Bill noted in his first post, Lillian Disney, Walt's wife, also passed away in December.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My concern is that as the Disneys depart the Disney company is going further down the tube. I'm sure Walt has been turning in his grave for years. RIP Roy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
My concern is that as the Disneys depart the Disney company is going further down the tube. I'm sure Walt has been turning in his grave for years.
I admire Walt Disney as much as anyone -- God knows, we've made scads of money off of his movies. But if the company had continued on the path it was on, it probably would have been bankrupt eventually. He was only catering to the G-rated kiddie crowd and the company was getting less and less relevant. Today's Disney caters quite nicely to just about every age bracket, which has enabled them to grow exponentially since Walt's time.

While I don't agree with everything they do (and I'll always wonder what Epcot would have become under his direction), I think Walt would be glad they are still doing quite well as an independent company, as opposed to getting taken over by a conglomerate, the way every other entertainment-based company did.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-16-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...I think Walt would have adapted his business with the times...seeing as he often pushed for adoption of new things/ideas. However, I don't think the greed factor would have been there as much. They still would be a pricey company but not quite as over-the-top.

Of course, this is all speculation.

Steve

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 12:06 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Di$ney IS a conglomerate now.

I read that Walt thought commercials on TV were "bad showmanship"- sad that ABC doesn't at least present its shows with good showmanship (meaning NO stupid logos on the screen!) since his company owns it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 01:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
I read that Walt thought commercials on TV were "bad showmanship"
Maybe so, but his shows always had commercials in them. He probably thought commercials were a "necessary evil." He was a smart businessman, not just a great showman.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 05:25 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe so, but his shows always had commercials in them.
I'll go one further, his shows WERE commercials! The "Disneyland" series got people to his park, as well as the infamous live broadcase of the part opening.

Those programs definitely combined Disney's skill at showmanship as well as business.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary - correct of course. I don't know why I didn't think of that. He used his show to promote Disney World and Epcot too.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-17-2009 12:57 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt's in a GRAVE !?

I thought he was just waiting in cryo somewhere.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
He was only catering to the G-rated kiddie crowd and the company was getting less and less relevant.
Here's where you and I part company Mike. You do not have to have nudity, profanity, sex or blood and gore special effects to be relevant. I started in this business in 1950 and for many years after that the studios served the entire movie going public without any of that. They have since created an appetite in SOME of the public for that garbage and in doing so have limited their audience.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
You do not have to have nudity, profanity, sex or blood and gore special effects to be relevant.
Very true. But have you seen ANY of the Disney movies from the last 30 years? You make it sound like they haven't done anything good since Walt died. Have they dabbled in areas where he might not have? Yes. But they also haven't slapped the Disney name on anything containing the qualities you listed.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you know, Disney has had specialty divisions. Touchstone for the PG-13 -type material, and of course, Miramax was part of Disney (from 1993 onwards; not from its inception in 1979). Ironically, though, Miramax is now gone as a seperate studio...

--jhawk

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 07:55 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not forget Disney also had Hollywood Pictures.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: