Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sounds of old SAAB

Author Topic: Sounds of old SAAB
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-09-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a sample of an automotive sound we'll never hear again.
Check it out. Sorry I didn't link it but it's simple enough otherwise. It's on You Tube. "Saab 96 two stroke singing".
A glorious sound it you have appreciation for it. Everything for the 2 stroke Saabophile. Noise with the sound echoing off the forest, he pops the rear end out with the hand brake in the beginning of the turn and an exhaust backfire just before it comes into view. PLAY IT LOUD
This car has a 3 cylinder engine of 750-850 CC making at most 60 hp. It has the same number of power strokes per revolution as a 4 stroke 6 cyl but sounds totally different.
Sounds like a swarm of angry bees.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
Reminds me of when I had an 87 Audi GT Coupe. When it needed a new muffler, I asked them to put a bigger exhaust pipe on it to make it sound "throatier", the muffler man (yes thats his nickname) just laughed and said it would sound like a pissed off bumblebee [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the video Bill is talking about.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Here is a very short list of all the Saabs my dad has owned/raced over the years. He now has a 93 he bought off of Ebay (which equates the the 3rd Saab we now have at the house). Baby blue with shifter on the stearing column like most.

I'm crossing my fingers they can find someone to buy the company since GM ditched them. Always loved the hum....

-

-

-

Here was my Saab I had, sold it years ago:
 -

And me as a tyke sitting on a Sonnet [Smile]
 -

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-10-2009 12:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Allison. [thumbsup]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-10-2009 01:27 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh SAAB Schmarb!!

Now the Reliant Robin....THATS a cool car.

I bet your SAAB's cant do this...

Reliant Robin Launch

Man, I so wanna try that! [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-10-2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison laments where have all these neat old cars gone? The answer to that question is easy, RUST. These cars rusted in places nobody knew existed. Unless the owner was religious about doing his own rust proofing they gradually disappeared. The bottoms of the doors rusted off, the floor pans became vast openings through which to view the road, fenders went very quickly, but what killed them completely was rust in the area where the rails that supported the front suspension and the drive train joined the body, I've seen 3 that broke there, one while being driven the others just sagged. The one being driven sagged and touched the ground at the leading edge of the doors.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 93 he has, has rust where you exactly described it. Some around the doors, some on the floor. But all in all the body is in good shape. The clear coat is peeling like crazy, but the previous owner took decent care of it

I also had a 96 as a play house [Smile] Yes, my dad converted one into a playhouse. I will get a picture of it up sooner or later.

When I had my 900, people would be amazed that the ignition was on the 'floor'. I hit 2 deer with that car with little damage (Thank goodness for their Moose tests!). It was a tank, and now sits rotting away in the parking next to the theater I work at. I don't know what the new owner is doing with it, but they will find a nasty note I put on the windshield telling them to take care of my baby if they leave it there for much longer!

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm done talking about my Saab family, since you are all probably bored of it. But here is the playhouse. (I'm turning away, two other kids were neighbors). This photo was actually in our local newspaper.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: