Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Eric Woolfson R.I.P.

Author Topic: Eric Woolfson R.I.P.
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't something that's going to make the top headlines because he wasn't a big celebrity, but almost everyone has heard Eric Woolfson's music. He was the principal songwriter behind the Alan Parsons Project, wrote or co-wrote all of their songs, and was the lead singer on some of their hits such as "Time," "Eye in the Sky."

He died this morning of cancer.

|  IP: Logged

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad.
RIP

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-02-2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to Eric Woolfson's passing...

Isn't it a shame that one's celebrity status isn't always proportional to one's talent?. I think this concept may apply to Mr Woolfson for he is/was an incredibly talented songwriter.

Either way, he is now another Eye in the Sky, along with many other revered talents.

Rest in Peace, Eric...but keep rattling those windows in heaven's discotheque when you have the odd chance.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sad news indeed. Alan Parsons Project put out a lot of interesting music in the 1980s. Quite a bit of it was good stuff. But the group made other music that just seemed odd. I didn't think their scoring work on the movie Ladyhawk worked very well at all. Nevertheless, it was "thinking man's music." Eric Woolfon explored deeper themes than just partying and screwing some chick -the subject matter of most popular music.

The Sirius instrumental was over-used as sports team entrance music or background for stories on severe storms. I mad a custom "best of" CD with Alan Parsons stuff where Sirius and Eye in the Sky exist as only one track. Gotta preserve that transition as one song fades to the other. Don't need my MP3 player or computer screwing up that important feature.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my time as a broadcaster I played some of their stuff. He was indeed talented. Condolences to his family.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2009 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting fact: All of the Alan Parsons Project songs are credited to Woolfson/Parsons. Woolfson actually wrote the songs himself, but Parsons' talent in producing, arranging and engineering was so important to the overall "sound" of the music that they decided he should have songwriter credit too.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did any other act besides Alan Parsons Project work sound tech stuff into their lyrics?

Tell you about dream that I have every night,
it's in Dolby Stereo but I never hear it right.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-03-2009 12:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
was the lead singer on some of their hits such as "Time," "Eye in the Sky."
Oh, no! This is terrible. His music accompanied the background of my life, certainly.

What great memories are attached to the Alan Parsons Project for me -- this was right when I got into broadcasting, and I played them on the air.

And I have had those two songs in my CD player continuously, since back when I was driving a truck. They are two of my favorite "sing-aloud-while-driving" songs, and I play them nearly every day.

Very sad news. He wasn't that old. [Frown]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 12:42 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
Isn't it a shame that one's celebrity status isn't always proportional to one's talent?. I think this concept may apply to Mr Woolfson for he is/was an incredibly talented songwriter
Ian, you are right; the truth seems to be that celebrigy status is in reverse proportion to talent.

This is indeed sad news. His music certainly is interwoven with some pretty important events in my own life.

Will they ever find a cure to this curséd disease?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: