Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oprah Winfrey announces her show will end in 2011! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey announces her show will end in 2011!
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-20-2009 02:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! Oprah Winfrey has announced that her show will end in 2011, after 25 years on the air!

How can we live? What are we gonna DO!?

Suggestions? [Razz]

[beer]

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she says the show is ending in September 2011, so fortunately we'll only have to survive for a little over a year before the end of the world in 2012. I think we can make it through a year subsisting on reruns and tearful montages set to cheesy music. I mean, I hope we can, I pray we can. I don't know what other choice we have, really.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-20-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard she got arrested...they found 40 pounds of crack up her dress between her legs.

Good riddance.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-20-2009 02:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll alert the media.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-20-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul = [thumbsup]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-20-2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the hype leading up to the launch of the show. There was tons of it. And I'm sitting there wondering "Who the fuck is Oprah Winfrey and who the fuck cares?"

Silly me.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-20-2009 06:00 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Party like it's 1999

[beer] [beer] [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 06:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are assuming she's going to retire. Not the case - she's forming her own network, OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network) so there will actually be MORE Oprah than ever before. God help us all.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just take your point of:
1) Not getting cable
2) Not subscribing to a package that includes her shit channel
3) If you really want cable and can't get a package w/o her channel then simply set things up so that channel just doesn't show up.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think it might have anything to do with the Myan calendar ending in 2012? Don't guess I'll miss her, I've never watched.

Mike: I'm not assuming... it more like wishing!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-20-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything against Oprah Winfrey, so I won't bash her. Nonetheless, I see this announcement as little more than a publicity release. It's designed to get a lot of people to get into watching her show's last episodes, whether those people are former viewers who gradually stopped watching or grab folks who never watched previously.

After 25 years and making God only knows how much money it would seem obvious Oprah is probably tired as hell of doing that show. So why not pull out the stops and make a lot of advertising money on the way out? It's a good business move. The whole thing is all about business. That's the big picture. Not the ideology nonsense that snares most of the crowd.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously it's a business move. She's already expanded beyond her TV show. The off-shoot shows she helped get going (like Dr Phil and Dr Oz) are part of her production company and she's got a magazine. But I wouldn't be surprised if she ventures into cable.

On the other hand, I doubt this announcement itself is meant to make people excited for her last few episodes, because the last few episodes don't happen for quite some time.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-27-2009 08:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yawn.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-27-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
On the other hand, I doubt this announcement itself is meant to make people excited for her last few episodes, because the last few episodes don't happen for quite some time.
No, but it's given her about $5 million in free publicity which will undoubtedly spike the viewership.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-27-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Oprah's retirement opens up more room for Rachel Ray [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: