Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy Birthday USMC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Birthday USMC
Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very proud to say that today marks the 234th birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Thank you all for all your support we all appreciate it like you couldn't imagine. Whether you support the political climate of the world or not. You have all been in our corner. Semper Fi'
http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/geninfo/birthday.asp

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not November 10 yet -at least not here in the United States. Still two hours to go (10pm Nov. 9) when this was written.

Here's a big OOH-RAH for all the Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan, where the USMC's 234th birthday has arrived!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-09-2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except the USMC was formed in 1798... sure, the CMC was formed Nov 10, 1775 but they disbanded 1783. [Razz]

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, it's 7:10 AM here. Guess I jumped the gun for you guys back in the states. I have to type fast though cause the firewall goes up any minute and then no more film-tech for another 13 hours [Mad]

Bravo Chris. That is a little known fact. However while the Continental Marines were disbanded individual Marines still protected Naval ships which was tradition . I know this gets down to symantics and a who's right who's wrong deal.. Marines use 1775 regardless as our starting point and consider the gap and the ship guarding Marines as all part of our heritage.. even if that makes us kinda younger then we really are! Ha

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-09-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: The word you were looking for is "semantics." You should use a browser that includes automatic spell-checking; it sure helps me out. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2009 10:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Except the USMC was formed in 1798... sure, the CMC was formed Nov 10, 1775 but they disbanded 1783.
Between the Revolutionary War and the Quasi War with France there weren't any people good enough for Marines to kill. Nevertheless, the Marine Corps recognizes the 1775 year of origin.

However, if anyone insists on pressing the 1798 trivia issue he can crash the nearest Marine Corps Ball taking place this week (or upcoming weekend) to take it up with the "jarheads." It would be interesting to see a hoard of Marines in dress whites converge like a football team on the guy pressing the argument.
[Razz]

Incidentally my father, author and retired Marine Charles Henderson, is in San Antonio, TX as the guest of honor for Marines based in South Texas working in Counter Terrorism Intelligence Operations. That particular Marine Corps Ball will take place at the Fleet Admiral Chester William Nimitz Museum and Heritage Center in Fredericksburg, TX.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-09-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
However, if anyone insists on pressing the 1798 trivia issue he can crash the nearest Marine Corps Ball taking place this week (or upcoming weekend) to take it up with the "jarheads." It would be interesting to see a hoard of Marines in dress whites converge like a football team on the guy pressing the argument.
[Razz]

If they are going to sell tickets for people to come watch the ass beating, put me down for a pair! [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's officially USMC Birthday day in the Central Time zone, United States. Let the activities begin, such as the converting of virgins or castration of alligators!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-10-2009 12:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our nation's finest. Absolutely.

I grew up in a Marine Corps family. Out of four brothers, I was the only one who didn't enlist -- although I later wished that I had. Since I was 12, I'd had this bug up my butt about becoming a projectionist. Go figure.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-10-2009 12:43 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, thank you for your service to keep us free, safe, and us all allowed to spout off stupid things in public! [thumbsup]

May the Lord keep you safe. [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-10-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow... I just saw your location, Paul. Thank you for your service. Stay safe! [beer]

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2009 10:56 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim and everybody. Chris thanks for the spelling lEzz0N I will take that into account in the FUUTUURE. Things aren't too bad over here in the sandbox this time. Just getting used to my new schedule sucks. I'm on 24 hours and then 24 off. It's amazing what you can get used to it just seems like I'm always shaving [Smile]
We did have a small birthday celebration out here. We had a small cake and everyone got 2 beers. Not exactly the get sloppy drunk ball I'm used to but it was certainly appreciated!

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2009 12:49 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Devildog, and Semper Fi.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-10-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Founding dates for what are now U.S. military service branches don't mean much if the date predates the existence of the government and most of the claimed dates do predate the existence of United States anything. Marines claim 1775, Army claims 1775, Navy 1775. All invalid as these years are before even the Declaration of Independence.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2009 07:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say something that is valid: at least one or more people posting in this thread has a giant stick up his ass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: