Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » NBC using the old "In Living Color"?

Author Topic: NBC using the old "In Living Color"?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-19-2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure you have all noticed that NBC started using their old color plug at the front end of most shows -- The following program is brought to you in Living Color. As much as I like it, what's that all about? And if they are going for the ole nostalgia, how come they also don't also do the, [i]In Stereo Sound Where Available," with that little aimation of the two speakers criscrossing at the bottom of the screen. Might as well make the nostalgia circle complete -- both picture and sound hype.

I was very impressed when after what seemed like decades, they decided to bring back their three note logo chime as well. I thought I'd never hear it again as part of their logo -- I figured they thought it was to corny or something, then all of a sudden sometime in the 90s I would guess, they brought it back. I like the continuity of it....from my youth and Howdy Doody Time. Why they think it's a good idea to drop such distinctive drand identifiers is beyond me, especially after spending millions promoting it and getting it to where it is synonymous with the brand. Like Fox doing away with their incredible, instantaneously recognizable "Fanfare with CinemaScope Extension" (bet it's a piece of music recognized everywhere on the planet). When I heard it reappear with STAR WARS, it really made my day (of course now with the Fox network it really gets a workout in all manner of morphed versions -- I'm especially impressed how they are able to break down a 22 second piece of music and capture its essence and make it recognizable in a 4 second version).

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-19-2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they bring back the peacock?

I remember them spending a fortune to come up with the big N logo, only to have it be exactly the same as Nebraska television or somesuch. Gotta love corporate tunnelvision.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-19-2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Peacock has been back, albeit in a modernized form, for years now. The chimes returned around the last season of on Seinfeld.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the color reproduction today is a little more like the living perhaps they thought it a good idea!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color quality from HDTV certainly is a damned sight better than the old SD standards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: