Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie sequels and prequels that are dead to you (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie sequels and prequels that are dead to you
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should be a fairly simple concept for most people, just list movie sequels and prequels which you think the "franchise" is better off without.

For example:
-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
-Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

For me, they never happened. The first and the third movies were the only ones that count.

-Back to the Future 2 and 3.
Back to the Future should have ended right where the first one did. The 2nd and 3rd just made a mess of everything. However I do find them entertaining and I do believe that part 2 is an accurate example of what 2015 will be like, but I pretend that they don't exist when watching part 1.

-Ghostbusters 2.
Ug.

Anything after Aliens.
Alien3 was awful, so was Alien Resurrection, and those Alien vs Predator movies have no right to exist whatsoever.

-Dracula: Dead and Loving It
Was a really shitty sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. What was Columbia thinking by following that up with this?

More? Probably, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-15-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-- Smokey and the Bandit 2 and 3

These actually made the original a lesser picture. Incredible! [Frown]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-15-2009 07:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the Jaws sequels should be expunged from the record. Also Speed 2 Cruise Control.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These movies are among the sequels and prequels that are dead to me:

Any sequel to Robocop. Utter crap.

Any sequel to Beverly Hills Cop.

In agreement about sequels to Smokey and Bandit, Jaws and Speed. They're awful.

Airplane 2 was pretty dreadful.

The Fly 2 (the late 1980s sequel to the remake from David Cronenberg). Unlike the 1986 movie, which was great but really disturbing -this one was just sucky and disturbing only in a couple scenes.

Along with any Alien movie made after Aliens, I have to say all sequels and off-shoots of Predator have sucked oily ass. There's only the monster movie starring the Governors of California and Minnesota. The others just don't exist.

Transformers was a guilty pleasure. However, I have no desire to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

There's a lot of other sequels and prequels that piss me off. But I haven't thought of them yet. So this post is just a start.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superman II, III, IV and Returns.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, V, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis and Star Trek.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-15-2009 09:56 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Matrix Reloaded & The Matrix Revolutions

The Animatrix was pretty awesome though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the above, with these additions:

Star Wars episodes I and II. (I enjoyed III a lot, for some reason.)

Any sequel Disney makes for its animated movies. (Pixar gets a pass on this, although we'll see how Toy Story 3 is.)

Pretty much all horror sequels (or remakes).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 10:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw should have ended after the first film, which was brilliant.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was a complete waste. All prints should be burned, and masters erased.

AJG

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-15-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Star Wars made after "Return of the Jedi."

It is very clear that Lucas has a "built-in" audience for his movies. There is a certain segment of the population who will pay to see a Star Wars sequel or prequel simply because it is Star Wars. The thing is, Lucas knows that and he panders to that audience.

Consequently, Lucas doesn't have to try hard to make good movies anymore. He knows that any piece of drek he can curn out will turn a profit. He spends his time on making digital special effects that don't add much to the story instead of spending his time on the story itself.

I watched Episode 1 with hope that it would be a new and interesting addition to the Star Wars series. It was "good" but not great.

I wathced Episode 2 hoping that it would be better but I was disappointed again.

Episode 3 turned out nothing more than a "connector" to bring the plots of Episodes 1 and 2 in line with the original Star Wars.

If Lucas would ever put out Episodes 7, 8 and 9 I would probably not watch them. If I did I would certainly wait until they are released on video. I would hold out until I could rent thm them on "buck night" at Family Video.

So, yeah... Star Wars is dead. [Frown]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-16-2009 12:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The horrendous sequel to 'Romancing The Stone'' ... 'The Jewel Of The Nile'.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-16-2009 08:15 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SEQUELS: Ocean's 12 and Ocean's 13

I'm also throwing in a remake because they tend to bug me more than sequels:

REMAKE: The Stepford Wives

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One sequal I was looking forward to seeing, because I loved the original . . . and it turned out to be one of the worst pieces of shit ever: Men In Black 2 . That's the one where the super-secret-unknown-even-to-the-government MIB headquaters suddenly has a Burger King franchise. If you are willing to compromise a major plot point from the original for the sake of a product placement deal, then [fu] to you and your movie.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 09:23 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Wars nay-sayers have a point, of course, but I know some kids under age 12 who sincerely love all the new stuff, especially the animated TV series. Face it, guys. We outgrew Star Wars but that thing is far from dead.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 11:13 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going through my movie collection, here are the movies which I did not find (because they're crap).

Alien Resurrection

Batman and Robin

Thunderball
Diamonds Are Forever
All of the Roger Moore Bonds except For Your Eyes Only
Licence to Kill

Final Destination 2-4

Ghostbusters 2

Red Dragon
Hannibal Rising

Highlander 2: The Quickening
The Search for Vengeance
The Source

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

Halloween II

Day of the Dead

Ocean's Thirteen

Psycho II

Rocky II-V

Spider-Man 3

Vampires: Los Muertos

Wild Things 2

The X-Files: I Want to Believe

X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 05:35 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
City Slickers II

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: