Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MJ's new single

Author Topic: MJ's new single
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 07:05 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a listen....I didn't think it was classic Jackson but at least devoid of all the synthesised bells and whistles he had on his later tracks.
Great voice. Nice-sounding record, along the lines of "Heal The World."

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 09:23 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely, this is one of the remixes of his old songs they've been playing to promote a whole album of them rather than a "new single."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 11:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a new song.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-13-2009 11:22 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a 20 year old song gussied up and released to capitalize on his death. Thank heaven his money troubles are over now.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should have said "song that hasn't been released before." It's new in the sense that it isn't a remix of some previous hit. I guess it can't really be a NEW song, since he's dead and all.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Song was also mostly written by Paul Anka with MJ many years ago. MJ actually stole the master tapes, which Anka finally recovered. The Jackson estate quickly acknowledged the error of crediting MJ for the song, and has given Mr. Anka significant royalties.

Everything regarding Michael Jackson always seems to turn weird in some way.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 09:24 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah true. It was cowritten by Anka, and MJ did indeed bizarrely steal the master tapes back in the 80s. What a freaking wacko. Then they came up with a settlement. I think Anka should be glad MJ stole it because he now will make 50% of some big sales of what I feel is a crappy song.

The performer counts for more than the writer in this one specific case because the same song was supposedly sung by some unknown Latina singer named Safire http://switch.sandbox.tmz.com/2009/10/12/paul-anka-michael-jackson-this-is-it-I-never-heard/

EW has an article on Safire and the song. Damn, if those two songs are her claim to fame, no wonder her career amounted to nothing. There is a clip of a song Thinking About You that encapsulates the worst aspects of mid to late 80s pop(I happen to love 80s pop, but damn, some of the late 80s pop was wretched with the tinny sounding guitars, chintzy sounding synths, tinny vocals, ballads).
http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/10/13/michael-jackson-this-is-it-safire/

The fact that no one can remember this single means that Anka's contribution really was a big zero from a commercial point of view . Anka probably made zip from the non sales of that Safire record. They could have easily released another crappy song of MJ's and it would still sell.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
They could have easily released another crappy song of MJ's and it would still sell.
Oh I think we have just seen the beginning of a regular avalanche of MJ rereleases, remixes, remasters, "deluxe" editions, combination packages, box sets, best-ofs, definitive collections, ultimate collector's editions and so on. I don't know who buys all this stuff.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-14-2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Europeans. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: