Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why is Tyler Perry so popular? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Why is Tyler Perry so popular?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. A god damn Medea movie comes out every 4 or 5 months. Is there a huge "black dude dressed up as a raunchy old lady" market?

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess Martin Lawrence isn't going the man-in-women's-fat-suit thing anymore so someone's gotta.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think part of the problem with him is that he started out doing plays and doesn't understand that film and stage need to be directed differently.

And what's really pathetic is he seems to come up with some decent ideas for a story and get quality actors but each time destroys the entire thing pretty much entirely due to his weak directing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem? His movies always seem to do very well.

Allison, what about Eddie Murphy? He also likes dressing up as old raunchy women. It's almost becoming a stereotype.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I'm referring to is his problem with being a shitty movie maker.

And he makes money simply because he got popular in the black community. I'd never heard of him until Daddy's Little Girls was released and the booker told us we absolutely had to put it in our largest screen since it was expected to be the #1 that week (ignoring that Redmond, WA is 95% white).

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 12:31 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Allison, what about Eddie Murphy?
Ahhh, true. Maybe Eddie just ran out of fart jokes, thus no recent movies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-23-2009 12:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rule not to watch any movie where the title of the movie begins with the director's name. It helps me weed out the tremendously bad movies.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 02:05 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His success is just a lesson to Hollywood that there is huge underserved market. I watched some of his movies on cable. They are very TV sitcom like in their look, music and tone. Though the movie he made with Janet Jackson, and a bunch of others about a few couples' troubled marriages and they go to some COlorado lodge seemed like an improvement in his direction.

He gets his target audience INVESTED in the outcome of the plot. There is no huge secret. Hollywood is free to find a talented director to mine such an audience, but they don't have a clue. So the monopoly goes to people like Perry.

I don't see how it's any different from some of the 80s cheesy movies some of us enjoyed in terms of cinematic "brilliance".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 02:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I have a rule not to watch any movie where the title of the movie begins with the director's name.
That's a good rule. I also avoid any movie with the word "Movie" in the title.

And I have no idea why Tyler Perry is so popular. And Eddie Murphy hasn't done anything worth watching since "Beverly Hills Cop," "Trading Places" and "48 Hrs."

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 08:51 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only watched part of one of his movies and that was because my wife was watching it. I didn't like it and I have no desire to watch anything he makes. But that's okay because he obviously makes his shows and movies to cater to a different market than what I am in. However, I too get a little tired of the barage of Tyler Perry movies and tv shows that are on all the time. How the heck does the guy find time to sleep?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
How the heck does the guy find time to sleep?
By not putting in enough time directing...

And every time I walk by "I Can Do Bad..." and Adam Rodriguez is there from an early scene I can't help but laugh at how terribly fake his beard looks.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2009 10:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always think it's funny when the film co's promote the latest Tyler Perry movie at the Rocky Mountain convention. A whiter group of people you will never find. The attendees pretty much just shake their heads in bewilderment.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 11:40 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black people are incredibly loyal. I have many customers coming to I Can Do Bad that have not been to a movie since the last Tyler Perry or Jamie Foxx flick. If any of you know Waterloo, you know the demographics of the city. I was told by a former black employee of mine that the feeling is that such a limited amount of black entertainment is being offered, when something comes along the entire black community joins together in support. It's not strictly about quality of product, it's about supporting your "brothers and sisters." Also, many of the themes in his movies are family and church related, which are very popular within the black community.

All I know is that those movies play very well and I enjoy the grosses in what would otherwise be a horribly slow September. I kind of home Perry keeps taking steroids and makes 20 more movies to keep our attendance strong.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reluctant to illegaly download one of his films to see what the fuss is but they just don't exist in the UK, maybe they are on DVD somewhere but you never see them promoted. It's bizarre to see something take $20m+ in the US and not even exist in the UK where there is a sizeable black community and US black culture is followed by people of all backgrounds. I think at my work the Tyler Perry films would do well if we got them day and date with the US and we pushed it in the local area and the right London-wide media outlets. Are the films usually R or PG-13?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually PG-13. When we had madea goes to jail, it was insane. All 3 of our screens saturday opening weekend were sold out by around 2 pm. Several weeks later a box employee accidentally sold the wrong ticket and the customer was told to just let podium know it was ok and they were to see madea, they replied "No, I want my money to go to TYLER PERRY", actually yelling at the employee. So yeah, loyalty seems big for the audiences of his films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: