Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ennio Morricone at the Hollywood Bowl Oct.25th

Author Topic: Ennio Morricone at the Hollywood Bowl Oct.25th
Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2009 04:00 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ennio Morricone Oct 25th at the Hollywood Bowl.

IMHO the greatest living soundtrack composer will play the Hollywood Bowl on the 25th. He does not get to the US very often, not to mention the Bowl so if your in LA and have the time get your wine chilled and show up for an eveing that will not disappoint.
The entire evening will be dedicated to his soundtrack compositions.

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in the pre-sale its currently online, password for the pre-sale is KCET

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all due respect to Mr. Morricone, who unquestionably has written some of the best movie scores ever, he also wrote one of the all-time worst, for Brian DePalma's 2000 stinkfest Mission to Mars. The music was so badly out of place in some scenes that it made me laugh out loud. Possibly the most memorably inappropriate music in any movie I can recall.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with more than 500 scores under his belt I would say one really bad one would be expected. [Razz]

My favorite bad score is in my favorite bad movie, Star Crash. (By John Barry)

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he put his name on those (plunk-plunk) John Carpenter scores (plunk-plunk) for THE THING and others (plunk-plunk) that I'll bet were either Carpenter's own, mostly, or (plunk-plunk) an easy afternoon's work. Who needs to spend money on an orchestra when you can do it all with a single plucked double-bass and a horn or two?

But most of his lesser stuff is still good. I like RED SONJA, mickey-mouse as it is, for some pretty moments.

Dunno if you've seen either of Morricone's "in concert" DVDs, but they're quite nice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: